Portable Vaults protects from rasomware?

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Hi,

I would like to know if portable (and non-portable) encrypted vaults protects from rasomware, if the external drive is connected to the PC.

PLUS: Encrypted files backup are protected from rasomware? Encrypted files created with 7-zip are protected?

TY!!!!

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Encrypted files backup are protected from rasomware?
Very difficult to answer your question.
Usually, the ransomware uses a search routine, code based, for defined file extensions: png, jpeg, pdf, doc, etc.
Assuming that if you encrypt your files, would be useful to know if also the extension is encrypted.
In this case, theoretically, the ransomware could avoid these files.
Take this as a grain of salt, since no certainty exists in this context and every malware/ransomware can act in a totally unpredictable way.

Best practice is always to disconnect the external disk as offline support.
The risk is that ransomware might encrypt your files previously encrypted by you, making impossible to recover them even by paying the ransom.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Encrypting your files does not stop ransomware from encrypting your files again.

On the subject of vaults: It depends what you mean. Allow me to give an example and hope this answers your question:
Secure Folders is an application that allows me to lock folders by denying read/write access to them. If I were to be infected by ransomware and Secure Folders was activated and locking certain folders at the time of infection then the ransomware wouldn't be able to encrypt the files within said folders, but if the ransomware infection remained on my system and I unlocked any of those folders then the ransomware would go ahead and encrypt the files within.
I'd imagine it would work the same with any encrypted vault. Once you've unlocked that vault (which in turn decrypts the files inside and allows you access to modify them) the ransomware would have the opportunity to encrypt those files.

Last edited:

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Wow! Thank you a lot guys! Very good answers... I really appreciate!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.