Not open for further replies.

Malware Security

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2013
DrBeenGolfing said:
Holy mackerel there, Andy!
Interesting review, not heard of this before. It uses the Avira engine?

The funny thing is, i was searching for your answer and so many people are asking the same question because preventon does not seem to tell people, but according to people who emailed preventon, they said its Virusbuster engine.

Reactions: Dave Russo

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
http://www.av-comparatives.org/av-vendors/
Preventon http://www.preventon.com UK Avira

I'd think Avira would do better, if that's the engine they are using.

Malware Security

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2013
DrBeenGolfing said:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/av-vendors/
Preventon http://www.preventon.com UK Avira

I'd think Avira would do better, if that's the engine they are using.

The truth is, many antivirus's that ive seen that use somebody elses engine does not get the same results as that company engine!

For example, in my other test on 360 Internet security uses bitdefenders engine and it definitely did not get the same results as bitdefender.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Preventon Antivirus is a clone of Digital Defender now owned by UtilTool (a doggy company that develops rogue products) uses VirusBuster AV engine.

They also have their own AV product based on Digital Defender called UtilTool Antivirus.

Other clones include Clearsight Antivirus, Avertive Antivirus and Celframe Antivirus.

In my opinion they all are crap.

The only VirusBuster based AV that is any good is Outpost Security Suite.

Thanks.:D

• Thanks
Reactions: Dave Russo and Jack

Malware Security

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2013
Littlebits said:
Preventon Antivirus is a clone of Digital Defender now owned by UtilTool (a doggy company that develops rogue products) uses VirusBuster AV engine.

They also have their own AV product based on Digital Defender called UtilTool Antivirus.

Other clones include Clearsight Antivirus, Avertive Antivirus and Celframe Antivirus.

In my opinion they all are crap.

Thanks.:D

Thanks for the info, there was also 3 or 4 other antivirus's that look exactly like preventon and one of them you mentioned, but there was 3 others that i cant remember!

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Malware Security said:
For example, in my other test on 360 Internet security uses bitdefenders engine and it definitely did not get the same results as bitdefender.

360 is using also own engine.

Littlebits said:

There was sometime VirusBuster IS, but Outpost acquired VirusBuster.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Why on earth use a antivirus which is using another companies engine.?
The whole concept is preposterous and absurd.

Just use the original av product instead of using obscure products with other companies av engines.

Thanks.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Amiga500 said:
Why on earth use a antivirus which is using another companies engine.?
The whole concept is preposterous and absurd.

Just use the original av product instead of using obscure products with other companies av engines.

Thanks.

I would have to basically agree with this statement, the only exception that I can think of is Emsisoft Anti-Malware which uses BitDefender's engine.

It is more stable then BitDefender and offers much better support.

Most of the other AVs that use licensed engine from third-party vendors are not worth using especially the ones that use multi-engines, they are more heavier on system resources and produce too many false positives.

Thanks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.