Advice Request prime target for attack

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

taga

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2016
Hello Guys,

After scanning my PC with the latest free version of AVG, I got the following message.

I want to protect my PC best as possible from Viruses, Malware, Hackers, and from other kinds of threats.

if I use the Malwarebytes 3.8.3 free version, Malwarebytes Browser guard, with the latest free version of AVG, will this be enough protection for my PC from Viruses, Malware, Hackers, and from other kinds of threats?

I am happy for any expert advice or recommendations.

virus threat alert.PNG

Kind Regards
Gayan

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
AVG Free is very good. Some prefer it over its sibling Avast due to its more minimal GUI. MBG is an excellent browser extension, I think it is much better than the dedicated AVG and Avast browser extensions. MBG will actually steer you away from phishing attempts, bad sites and scams. I found most other browser extensions to really not do a lot except check search results against a list of bad sites. You might add Ublock Origin to your system for a really rock solid setup. Occasional on-demand scans with free MBAM are a good idea too.

The resolve all button on that AVG scan page is just their effort to get you to buy the paid version of AVG. They are trying to get you to pay for additional modules that you may not really need, or pay for their cleaner and junk file scans. You can do that yourself with Windows for free. AVG is good but the paid version is not really needed. AVG will throw you a few offers to upgrade every so often. If you are OK with those, AVG does a pretty good job.

C.H.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I would recommend Kaspersky. Kaspersky Security cloud is free. Use DOH with secure DNS in your browser.

+1 I saw in another very well known and respected member here Silversurfer's configuration post yesterday he is using the new Kaspersky Free. He posted some screen shots of it. I liked what I saw so I downloaded it and so far it is working great. It has modules and functions you can actually use and it is all about security, not fluff and bloatware. So far it has not nagged me to buy anything and I don't expect it will in the future either. Kaspersky is one of the very best AV's available. I have been using the Microsoft Defender for a pretty good while but so far I like what I have seen with Kaspersky Free.

C.H.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I want to protect my PC best as possible from Viruses, Malware, Hackers, and from other kinds of threats.

View attachment 264391

Is it a home computer or a business laptop (used when traveling)?
Did you decide to use only a free config?
Did you post a detailed security configuration here?

The free AVG + MB, or Kaspersky free Avs are good propositions for many home users. But such a setup cannot protect "best as possible from Viruses, Malware, Hackers, and from other kinds of threats". A strong setup requires the right adjustment to the user, or it will be hardly usable.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I guess I should update here, I did try the new Kaspersky Free yesterday and at first it was very good, I liked the changes they made to it. Then I found it does not support Vivaldi. I have been tinkering around with Vivaldi again the last few weeks and learned a lot about how it works and how to set it up the way I like it. Kaspersky does not do much in Vivaldi though, it let the Eicar test file right in, did not even flag it or the AMTSO phishing test page at all. I tried the Kaspersky browser protection extension but never could get it to work in Vivaldi, Edge or Chrome. I didn't try it in Firefox. No matter how I tried I never could get the browser extension to work. I hate to be so fickle about it but I can not see any sense in keeping an AV or other program/utility if it does not do what I need it to do.

I know Kaspersky is still a great AV, it has some of the strongest protection available and no single AV is 100% perfect but I scrapped it anyway. I have had a few problems with WD lately, mostly slowdowns here and there and plus I just wanted to see how a different AV might work. I am now trying out the Free Avast One Essential and so far I am very impressed with it. It has some good features, is much lighter on my laptop than WD ever was and it works great in all browsers. Avast also has so far not tried to scare me into paying for bloatware scans I do not need. I don't know how to test malware other than the Eicar and AMTSO tests but Avast immediately detected both in all of the browsers I use. The GUI takes a little getting used to with all its goofy pictures but that is OK. I am looking forward to seeing how this goes.

C.H.

taga

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2016
AVG Free is very good. Some prefer it over its sibling Avast due to its more minimal GUI. MBG is an excellent browser extension, I think it is much better than the dedicated AVG and Avast browser extensions. MBG will actually steer you away from phishing attempts, bad sites and scams. I found most other browser extensions to really not do a lot except check search results against a list of bad sites. You might add Ublock Origin to your system for a really rock solid setup. Occasional on-demand scans with free MBAM are a good idea too.

The resolve all button on that AVG scan page is just their effort to get you to buy the paid version of AVG. They are trying to get you to pay for additional modules that you may not really need, or pay for their cleaner and junk file scans. You can do that yourself with Windows for free. AVG is good but the paid version is not really needed. AVG will throw you a few offers to upgrade every so often. If you are OK with those, AVG does a pretty good job.

C.H.
Hello Captain Holly,

Thank you so much for your reply and for your very valuable information, I really appreciated it :)

Kind Regards
Gayan

taga

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2016
Is it a home computer or a business laptop (used when traveling)?
Did you decide to use only a free config?
Did you post a detailed security configuration here?

The free AVG + MB, or Kaspersky free Avs are good propositions for many home users. But such a setup cannot protect "best as possible from Viruses, Malware, Hackers, and from other kinds of threats". A strong setup requires the right adjustment to the user, or it will be hardly usable.

It is a home PC, I am using default configurations. I haven't posted any detailed security configuration at the moment.

Would it help me better if I post a detail security configuration?

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Hello Guys,

After scanning my PC with the latest free version of AVG, I got the following message.

if I use the Malwarebytes 3.8.3 free version, Malwarebytes Browser guard, with the latest free version of AVG, will this be enough protection for my PC from Viruses, Malware, Hackers, and from other kinds of threats?

I am happy for any expert advice or recommendations.

View attachment 264391

Kind Regards
Gayan
Its just a trick that you would buy internet security and with that your folders are more protected :) , when i had it installed i always skip this scan ....

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Maybe the 64 sensitive items are docs/pictures etc that may be locked by ransomware, encouraging you to buy the pay program that has ransomware protection? However IMHO it's a free program & you can hardly blame them for trying to make some money - It's a good program & protection is as good as most, better than some.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I went back to Kaspersky Free. I had a lot of trouble yesterday with Vivaldi and finally ditched it for good. There are some good points and bad points about Vivaldi but I was tired of trying to make it work. My bank does not recognize Vivaldi as a valid browser and I just don't like switching back and forth between browsers. Since I got rid of Vivaldi I went back to Chrome and Kaspersky Free works perfectly with it. I turned off the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension and Kaspersky instantly blocked the Eicar and AMTSO test files. Kaspersky has what I want without the need for any other programs to augment it. I did add the Kaspersky Protection extension, it seems to be working ok, and I am still using Ublock Origin on default settings but that is it. Kaspersky is so far very light, probably the lightest AV I have used yet. Personally I like Kaspersky much better than Avast One. Of all the free AV's, Kaspersky seems to have the best GUI and it functions like a real AV should. I am going to try hard to leave well enough alone now.

C.H.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.