Serious Discussion Privacy, Anonymity and Compartmentalization

SpyNetGirl

Level 3
Thread author
Well-known
Jan 30, 2023
Made a GitHub repository dedicated to Privacy, Anonymity and Compartmentalization, it's long and has custom formatting so can't post it all here.
It gives you a realistic and clear-headed overview of how Privacy, Anonymity and Compartmentalization work.

Here is the introduction to the post

This post explores the topics of privacy, anonymity and compartmentalization. These concepts are interrelated and essential for protecting one’s identity, data and online activities from unwanted surveillance, tracking and interference.

First, we discuss privacy, which is the right to control what information is collected and shared about oneself. Privacy is important for maintaining personal autonomy, dignity and security.

Next, we cover anonymity, which is the state of being unknown or unidentifiable by others.

Finally, we introduce compartmentalization, which is the practice of separating different aspects of one’s life or identity into distinct compartments or personas.

Specifically, I will show you how to compartmentalize software in Windows using virtualization technology. Virtualization is a technique that allows you to run multiple operating systems or applications on a single physical machine, isolated from each other.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
Made a GitHub repository dedicated to Privacy, Anonymity and Compartmentalization, it's long and has custom formatting so can't post it all here.
It gives you a realistic and clear-headed overview of how Privacy, Anonymity and Compartmentalization work.

Here is the introduction to the post

This post explores the topics of privacy, anonymity and compartmentalization. These concepts are interrelated and essential for protecting one’s identity, data and online activities from unwanted surveillance, tracking and interference.

First, we discuss privacy, which is the right to control what information is collected and shared about oneself. Privacy is important for maintaining personal autonomy, dignity and security.

Next, we cover anonymity, which is the state of being unknown or unidentifiable by others.

Finally, we introduce compartmentalization, which is the practice of separating different aspects of one’s life or identity into distinct compartments or personas.

Specifically, I will show you how to compartmentalize software in Windows using virtualization technology. Virtualization is a technique that allows you to run multiple operating systems or applications on a single physical machine, isolated from each other.
Wait how can I trust a VM built by someone else and that someone is talking about privacy and anonymity? Hmm that's something a mosad or cia agent would do! Nice try cia! I will never share my chocolate chip brownie cookie pizza recipe! /S

On the serious note. Thanks! I will try them out.
By the way have you noticed any performance differences between the hypervisors? For example is VMware faster than Microsoft own hyper V or the Oracle solution?

SpyNetGirl

Level 3
Thread author
Well-known
Jan 30, 2023
Wait how can I trust a VM built by someone else and that someone is talking about privacy and anonymity? Hmm that's something a mosad or cia agent would do! Nice try cia! I will never share my chocolate chip brownie cookie pizza recipe! /S

On the serious note. Thanks! I will try them out.
By the way have you noticed any performance differences between the hypervisors? For example is VMware faster than Microsoft own hyper V or the Oracle solution?

Yw! I've used VMware workstation, Virtualbox and Hyper-V a lot, and in the end I came to the conclusion that Hyper-V is the best. It's also the safest. We keep seeing a lot of news about vulnerabilities and emergencies in VMware products.
There is a 250,000$ bounty for Hyper-V security bugs.

Performance-wise, Hyper-V is still the best, I just updated the Hyper-V wiki page with some of the screenshots I had:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.