Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
privatefirewall9194031.jpg

Screenshots

Privatefirewall - Personal Firewall + Multi-Layer Intrusion Prevention for Windows Desktops and Servers!

Privatefirewall multi-layered endpoint security software protects Windows desktops and servers from malware and unauthorized use. Personal firewall, packet inspection, URL filtering, process monitor, and application/system behavior modeling and anomaly detection components stop hackers, spyware, viruses and other forms of malware before they can cause damage. Privatefirewall detects, blocks and quarantines activity characteristic of known malware, hacking, phishing and other threat types so that personal computer users and IT managers within small, medium or large organizations can more effectively and proactively protect the environments and private data for which they are responsible. You'll realize expanded protection and become educated about the nature of activity - trusted and un-trusted - that occurs on your system.
An exceptionally simple user interface makes Privatefirewall a breeze to manage. An exceptionally simple user interface makes Privatefirewall a breeze to manage.Take control of your computer and online privacy and safety - with Privatefirewall!

Privatefirewall features signature-less, behavior-based anti-malware and desktop defense capabilities comprised of several distinct technology layers designed to block or mitigate the damage caused by intrusion, virus and other malware attacks. Beyond unparalleled personal firewall protection, Privatefirewall includes the following layers of proactive, behavior-based defense technology:
• Application Monitor/Manager
• Registry Monitor
• Process Monitor/Manager
• Email Anomaly Analyzer/Manager
• System Anomaly Analyzer

Privatefirewall also detects malware and intrusions based on behaviors characteristic of unauthorized system use. Some of these include:
• Attempts to access a protected registry area
• Attempts to access a protected object
• Attempts to Initiate a foreign process
• Attempts to control Windows service
• Attempts to create a DNS request
• Attempts to initiate outgoing TCP traffic

Proactive, Multi-Layered Defense
• NEW! Complete Windows 7 (RTM) and Vista Support – Certified compatible with all versions of Vista (32 and 64 bit).
• Advanced packet filtering – Proprietary stateful packet inspection technology monitors all communication between the PC and the Internet and detects and blocks all unauthorized traffic. Privatefirewall allows the simple adjustment of security levels (High/Low/Custom) to establish different degrees of security for Internet and Local Network access.
• Ultimate Application Control – Highly configurable Application Control Console enables you to specify which and precisely how applications can access the Internet.
• Process Detection - Prevents viruses, trojans, worms and other malware by tracking all trusted processes and providing alerts when any potentially malicious process attempts to run.
• System Anomaly Detection – System Anomaly Detection Engine baselines normal usage based on system variables such as CPU utilization, thread count, and others. Normal use patterns of running applications are monitored and alerts are generated as unusual activity is detected.
• Intelligent Tray Alerts – Compact, user-friendly tray alerts provide detailed information regarding security events, offer native web search for convenient investigation, and pre-set intelligent “time-out” responses.
• Stealth Mode – PC is invisible when online and stealth to potential intruders.
• Port Tracking and Reporting – All ports are monitored to prohibit unauthorized scanning and system intrusion. Detailed reports are generated on all port scan and other reconnaissance attempts in addition to instantaneous on-screen alerts.
• Email Anomaly Detection – Privatefirewall mitigates the impact of attacks targeting email clients by tracking the volume and frequency of outbound emails. Privatefirewall alerts you and blocks unacceptable deviations from normal email activity.

Application Control and Firewall Policy Management
• Monitor all traffic to and from your PC and prevent trusted applications from being “Hi-Jacked” to steal local or network-accessible files.
• The Process Monitor adds an important layer of defense to conventional firewall protection by identifying process-level behavior characteristics of intrusion techniques and malware activity.
• Control which applications can access the Internet, and whether to permit/block every application with each usage or make permissions permanent. Specific IPs and/or Websites can be blocked or allowed access.
• Define application specific or global packet filtering rules that can be applied to incoming, outgoing or bi-directional traffic.
• View or create advanced firewall reports sorted by Web, Mail, or System access attempts spanning Hours, Days, Weeks, or customized time periods.

Unmatched Ease of Use
• Privatefirewall’s security presets deliver superior PC protection immediately upon installation. Setup and configuration are fully automatic right out of the box.
• One-click configuration of pre-defined security settings for Home, Office, and Remote profiles eliminate complicated application tuning.
• Privatefirewall conveniently detects connections to local networks and automatically sets rules that allow access within that network.
• A variety of custom configuration interfaces are easily accessible for advanced users.
• Privatefirewall is fully integrated with Windows XP Security Center.

Operating Systems: Windows 2K, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008 and 7 (32 & 64-bit).

Click here to see The Changelog.

GENERAL INSTALLATION PROCEDURE: Please uninstall the existing version of Privatefirewall and reboot system before installing an update. Process Monitor and Firewall settings can be preserved by exporting (File -> Export Settings) before uninstalling, and importing (File -> Import Settings) after installing updates. We also advise temporarily disabling any antivirus or other active anti-malware or HIPS software until the Privatefirewall installation process has completed.

RELEASE NOTES - 7.0.25.4, posted 9/30/2011
- Fixed defect in Restricted Rights feature (assigning limited rights to certain applications using alerts might inadvertently reduce rights for explorer.exe).

RELEASE NOTES - 7.0.25.3, posted 9/26/2011
- Added Restricted Rights feature which allows rights to be reduced for specific apps on the fly (via Process Detection Alerts) or via Privatefirewall GUI (Processes tab of Advanced Applications Settings).
- Added log level control: Off, Low, Med, High. Low (only events with red/blue icons are logged, i.e. which are not related to any existing rules), Med (all except restricted IPs, port scans, invalid packet flags, dropped due to SPI), High (all firewall events are logged).
- Expanded max alert time-out and added user options to control length of time-out period.
- Added ability to right mouse click event in FW log to add IP to the Blocked or Trusted List.
- Addressed full-screen game compatibility issues.

Homepage
Download

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Privatefirewall Update:
RELEASE NOTES - 7.0.25.4, posted 9/30/2011
- Fixed defect in Restricted Rights feature (assigning limited rights to certain applications using alerts might inadvertently reduce rights for explorer.exe).

Thanks.:D

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Version 7.0.25.5 is out.

Release description:

Added ability to select multiple applications in Process Monitor, Applications, Detected Applications and Trusted Publishers.
Added “Select All” option for Trusted Publisher page so that users can Remove all if desired.
Added “Terminate Process” option (via right mouse function) for Applications listed on Port Tracking screen.
Added Trusted Publishers to Settings Export.
Installation Note: This update does not require uninstall and reboot of the 7.0.25.4 build

Homepage

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
This is one of the firewall software that actively updates regularly to enhance the program for fixes and improvements.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Never heard of it but it looks nice and has all the bells and whistles... gonna keep a keen eye on this and see how it goes. Would be nice to have another one to suggest to people rather than the two I mainly say (comodo & outpost) as not too keen on others...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Most Recent Release

RELEASE NOTES - 7.0.26.5, posted 03/09/2012

- Rolled back auto-deny for detected events indicating PID only.
- To install this update from build 26.3 or 26.4, exit Privatefirewall (from the tray icon) and run the executable (custom settings will be preserved).
- To install this update from build 25.5 (or earlier), export custom settings, uninstall and reboot system before installing the 26.5 build.

2 Previous Updates from February 2012

RELEASE NOTES - 7.0.26.4, posted 02/15/2012 (uninstall/reboot of previous build is required for installation of 26.4)

- Addressed issues observed with settings export/import feature.
- Addressed issues observed with Reset to Defaults feature.
- Implemented additional modifications to address specific Avast behavior.

RELEASE NOTES - 7.0.26.3, posted 2/9/2012 (uninstall/reboot of previous build is required for installation of 26.3)

- Updated drivers reviewed/signed by Microsoft Winqual.
- Added ability to define fw rule order.
- Addressed issue with avast.setup (still in process - some incidents of repeat alerting persists).
- Added application specific IP address rules configuration and filtering capability.
- Modified driver binding implementation to address possible related implications (i.e. lost Internet connection, system drag, etc.) of other driver conflicts/incompatibilities.
- Resolved failed Kill3f and fileacc1 leak tests.
- Modified logic for automated rule creation in relation to SPI (limits certain automatic rule creation to outbound only).
- Added ability to permanently remove publishers from the TP list.
- Added "Skip" button to Program Change alerts ("If this program changes frequently, select Skip to suppress further checks.").
- Added Delete and Insert key handling to Applications, Process Monitor, Trusted/Blocked sites, Trusted Publishers, Detected Processes and Parents lists.
- Added Next and Prev buttons to Applications.
- Addressed several minor bugs/defects.

http://www.privacyware.com/PF_support.html

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
PF 7.0.26.6

CURRENT VERSION - 7.0.26.6, posted 3/11/2012: (Select Main Menu/Help/About Privatefirewall 7.0 to find the version number)

GENERAL INSTALLATION PROCEDURE: Please uninstall the existing version of Privatefirewall (via Add/Remove programs or Start -> All Programs -> Privatefirewall 7.0 -> Uninstall...) and reboot system before installing an update. Process Monitor and Firewall settings can be preserved by exporting (File -> Export Settings) before uninstalling, and importing (File -> Import Settings) after installing updates. We also advise temporarily disabling any antivirus or other active anti-malware or HIPS software until the Privatefirewall installation process has completed.

RELEASE NOTES - 7.0.26.6, posted 03/11/2012
- Addressed Advanced Reports "Invalid pointer" and missing pflog7.mdb observed on Vista and XP.
- To install this update from build 26.3 or 26.4, exit Privatefirewall (from the tray icon) and run the executable (custom settings will be preserved).
- To install this update from build 25.5 (or earlier), export custom settings, uninstall and reboot system before installing the 26.5 build.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The chances of another update. Thanks blues. :D

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
Earth said:
The chances of another update. Thanks blues. :D

You're welcome.

Actually, I had alerted Greg to the fact that the Advanced Reports were not working just yesterday afternoon. He confirmed it on his end and actually came out with the patched update overnight.

Not only is PrivateFirewall a top notch product, but imho they are unbelievably quick to respond to their clients.

I can't say enough about them in both these regards.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't know if I currently need or want PrivateFirewall, but I liked it since it became a free product, as well as being maintained/developed.

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
If you should decide at some point to give it a try I think you'll find it a nice small, light package.

I've found it to be the perfect complement to the other security apps I'm running. No drag whatsoever.

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
CURRENT VERSION - 7.0.26.7, posted 3/23/2012: (Select Main Menu/Help/About Privatefirewall 7.0 to find the version number)

GENERAL INSTALLATION PROCEDURE: Please uninstall the existing version of Privatefirewall (via Add/Remove programs or Start -> All Programs -> Privatefirewall 7.0 -> Uninstall...) and reboot system before installing an update. Process Monitor and Firewall settings can be preserved by exporting (File -> Export Settings) before uninstalling, and importing (File -> Import Settings) after installing updates. We also advise temporarily disabling any antivirus or other active anti-malware or HIPS software until the Privatefirewall installation process has completed.

RELEASE NOTES - 7.0.26.7, posted 03/23/2012
- Added error code display when driver can't be contacted.
- Added H zone for default outgoing ICMP rule.
- Removed IDVault product installation option from Privatefirewall setup.
- Modified Advanced Reports to address defect in IP address report filter.
- Added "Disable Auto-Response" to exported settings.
- Please uninstall the existing version of Privatefirewall and reboot system before installing this update. Custom Process Monitor, Firewall and other product settings can be preserved by exporting (File -> Export Settings) before uninstalling, and importing (File -> Import Settings) after installing updates.

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
RE: Privacyware Privatefirewall v.7.0.27.1

CURRENT VERSION - 7.0.27.1, posted 4/5/2012: (Select Main Menu/Help/About Privatefirewall 7.0 to find the version number)

RELEASE NOTES - 7.0.27.1, posted 4/5/2012
- Enhanced Process Monitor - comparable logger and leak defense in 64 and 32 bit OS environments.
- Added option to Disable Trusted Publisher feature.
- Added IP address specific rules to Settings export file.
- Updated drivers reviewed and tested by Microsoft Winqual.

* Please uninstall the existing version of Privatefirewall and reboot system before installing this update. Custom Process Monitor, Firewall and other product settings can be preserved by exporting (File -> Export Settings) before uninstalling, and importing (File -> Import Settings) after installing updates.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Thanks again blues :)
Looks like quite an update.
Keeping an interested eye on this product, looking forward to Matousec's next 64 bit test.

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
You're very welcome. I run XP Pro SP3 so though I am interested in following their progress with 64 bit OS, it doesn't apply to my situation at present.

I do know that Greg and company are dedicated to making PF better with each new release.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is there any reason, the recent releases need an uninstall before installing the update?

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
I know that minor revisions can be installed on top of the prior version...that said, I also know that Greg prefers a clean install for more significant updates to the app.

I always follow his lead in this regard since it's just a few extra minutes work and I can easily import my settings.

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
Okay for what? I use them on my wife's computer but then again she has no particularly sensitive data on her machine and does no online financial transactions.

I use the manual method with "disabled auto response". The manual settings are what allowed Matousec to get the best security protection scores with the app during their tests.

It all depends upon what compromises you are willing to make and how much time you are willing to invest to answer the initial popups.

I find that I very rarely have to answer popups unless I am installing something new or upgrading an app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.