Privacyware Privatefirewall v.7.0.25.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
Is there any reason, the recent releases need an uninstall before installing the update?

Actually most updates require uninstall and reinstall to load new drivers.
I really like Privatefirewall but it requires too much maintenance to keep it updated just like Comodo and Online Armor.

Hopefully they can find a way around this issue, that is what turns away users like myself.

If you don't uninstall first then install the latest updated version for most firewalls with HIPS features, you can run into all sorts of problems.

I prefer software that doesn't require uninstallation for new updates, reboots are understandable.

Thanks.:D

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I dont know how members feel about firewall testing sites but on shields up PFW fails to stealth and has one port open.
Any ideas on how to configure pfw to pass this test.?
Thanks.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
Cllick file in main window >settings>select manual control>disable auto response
Then reset the firewall by clicking the blue button.
Make sure the firewall is not in training mode.
Doing so will makes your firewall chatty untill all rules are configured.
This is very much like Comodo with Firewall Custom Policy Mode.

Click trust the publisher remember and allow for your antivirus, and other software that you trust.
For any suspicious process just click block without clicking remember and if the system keeps functioning well, let it be safely blocked later stage.

On GRC Shield Up stealth test during port scan don't forget to block or you will allow port scan to pass through and thus failing the test.

Enjoy!

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
bitbizket said:
Cllick file in main window >settings>select manual control>disable auto response
Then reset the firewall by clicking the blue button.
Make sure the firewall is not in training mode.
Doing so will makes your firewall chatty untill all rules are configured.
This is very much like Comodo with Firewall Custom Policy Mode.

Click trust the publisher remember and allow for your antivirus, and other software that you trust.
For any suspicious process just click block without clicking remember and if the system keeps functioning well, let it be safely blocked later stage.

On GRC Shield Up stealth test during port scan don't forget to block or you will allow port scan to pass through and thus failing the test.

Enjoy!

Thank you very much.
Just a small thing ,but what do you mean by "dont forget to block" on the shields up test,because i never received such an alert.?
Im not sure if that test is legitimate or not but thats the reason i uninstalled the firewall because it was failing this test.
Thanks again.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
Don't worry you will get an alert. Its an IP begin with 4.x.x.x

It's up to the individual some like it stealth some don't. Some ports needs to be open for applications to work properly so stealthing can be a problem. Most of the time its works fine. It already been discussed before without no ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.