Private Internet Access goes Open Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flengo

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 19, 2017
Today marks the start of an exciting shift over here at Private Internet Access. As long-time supporters of the Free and Open Source Software community, we have started the process of open sourcing our software, and over the next six months we will be releasing the source code for all our client-side applications, as well as libraries and extensions.

We are extremely grateful to the Free and Open Source Software community for creating the foundations of the Internet as we know it. And while we may be late to the party, we are looking forward to furthering our work with a movement that aligns with our own passions, on both a personal and professional level.

We believe that the shift to open source is the right move for a privacy-focused business, and recognise that code transparency is key. We appreciate that our code could may not be perfect, and we hope that the wider FOSS community will get involved, provide feedback, feature requests, bug fixes and generally help provide a greater service to the wider privacy movement.

Today, we are opening up the first of many repositories, the chrome extension, that allows users to access our network of proxies from their web browser. The chrome extension also boasts additional privacy and security features such as disabling the microphone and camera, blocking flash and ip discovery through WebRTC, and can also automatically block ads and tracking through PIA MACETM. Please note that the extension will protect traffic from the browser only and will offer any protection when using other applications.

“Let’s continue to fight the good fight. Freedom is an earned right, and we must continue to re-earn it everyday. As the world continues to fight, Private Internet Access will be there. In crypto we trust.” — Andrew Lee, Private Internet Access Founder, and long-term FOSS contributor.

Head over to GitHub, check out the repo and get involved! You can find us in #privateinternetaccess on chat.freenode.net if you have questions, comments or simply want to find out more about what we are up to.

Our longer term goal is to release all our code into the open, and we hope that you will join us on our journey. We have some exciting things planned, and would love to hear from you if you want to get involved … and don’t forget to keep an eye on our blog and/or social media as we will be throwing some exciting launch events further down the line.

It should come as no surprise that we think that open source is awesome, and as long-term consumers of open source we are really happy to now be in a position where we can contribute back.

If you have any questions or comments, please do drop us a line to opensource@privateinternetaccess.com, we look forward to speaking with you and hope that our transparency will ensure that you have some peace of mind.

Private Internet Access goes Open Source | Private Internet Access Blog

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Affirms they have nothing to hide.

Also, since we know they couldn't really respond to a US Govt. subpoena, I think their privacy is quite good and they aren't lying.

Reactions: zzz00m
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I have a VERY fast connection with PIA.. The fastest of any VPN I have tested, so I have a 5 Device, 3 year membership to them for when I need an offsite VPN.

3QJJmf.png

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Wow,

This is great news! PIA is my VPN of choice. I love their low price, fast speeds, plus their proxy servers!

Unfortunately my college WiFi is an open network so I use this all the time while I am at school and it works perfectly and manages to get through the school firewall without any problems.

I also use it to access the US Netflix since I am Canadian and the US library is over double the size. However, the Canadian Netflix does have some shows that are only on there since they are made in Canada. So I go back and forth between the two.

bgiebpK.png

This is a speediest ran over WiFi on my MacBook Pro connected to a NYC server and I am in Canada. It seems I get faster speeds connected to US servers vs Canadian servers which is interesting.

My WiFi is capable of 130 down and 50 up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.