Solved problem with non-english letters (Danish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devial

Thread author
Mar 6, 2011
Hey folks.

I have a serious damn annoying problem, can't read "æøå (Danish letters)". It just end up with Ã�. I have no problem with writing them, but then i post it on a forum or in a *.html it turns in to signs. I don't know what caused the problem, it just happend a day. It seems to work fine here, but on another forum or in any html it turn in to signs.

/Devial

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
In order to display International special characters a web page (html document) needs to have a certain character set specified in the header section. Something like:
Code:
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html" charset="UTF-8">
Also when the html file is saved the same character set needs to be used. So it could be a problem on their side.

Something you could try is change some settings in your browser.
In Firefox for example go to Options -> Content, under the Font & Colors section click Advanced... and set Default Character Encoding to Unicode (UTF-8) or ISO 8859-1 (aka Latin-1)

Upvote 0

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Did you choose UNICODE ( UTF-8 ) right ? Did you try visiting other pages written in Danish , just to make sure the problem isn't on that specific site?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    105.8 KB · Views: 688
Upvote 0

Devial

Thread author
Mar 6, 2011
I never had the problem before, I can read another persons post fine, but not then i write one myself. And yes.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I had the same problem before, it was caused by BitDefender TrafficLight. If you have any website checking extensions or website checking software installed, might trying uninstalling them. I have the same problem with Gdata CloudSecurity. Some antivirus with web scanning (http) can also cause this.

What's your security setup?

Thanks.:D

Upvote 0

Devial

Thread author
Mar 6, 2011
I unintalled Bitdefender Trafficlight, did not help. I am using CIS 5.5.
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Devial-s-Config

Upvote 0

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
So you can see these: æøå, but you can't type them?
Is the Language set to Danish? (Control Panel -> Clock, Language, and Region -> Change Keyboards... The Keyboards and Languages window opens, click Change Keyboards... you should have Danish in the list and the appropriate keyboard layout) - you could try removing and re-adding it. Also the input language from the Language bar that usually appears in the taskbar should be set to DA as well when you use the browser.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Devial said:
I unintalled Bitdefender Trafficlight, did not help. I am using CIS 5.5.
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Devial-s-Config

Don't think Comodo could cause this, but you could try disabling it and see if it works.
If you are using Comodo DNS, try temporary changing back to your ISP DNS and relaunch your browser.

Have you installed any new software lately or made any changes to your system that might have caused this issue?

Every time that I have experienced this problem, it was related to web scanning, DNS or web filtering.
So it is possible that firewall filtering could cause it as well.

Thanks.:D

Upvote 0

Devial

Thread author
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks guys, it works now. And bogdan: i was able to write and see the danish letters, but after i post/send the letters turns into signs. But everything works great now. Maybe it worked with uninstalling Trafficlight, just started my pc again and it worked. Thanks, and have a nice summer.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.