Troubleshoot Problem with Windows Defender

gonzalo

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Windows defender process still on after disable.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
check windows in order the verify if this issue was caused by a malware but the system is clean. Zemana free, roguekiller and adwcleaner was used for it.
Hi, yesterday i reinstall windows 10 pro with the last stable build (1511). everything was good until i want to disable defender in order to use my 360 TS, but after i did it, there was a process related to that was still running. so i went to services to check it out and i found that, defender was still on (or some part of it) and without any option available for his disable. like this :

g8RjGOK.png

the process is MsMpEng.exe :

OIHefwz.png

I need help for this cause is beyond my knowledge xD.

thanks.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Any instructions I give you are completely at your own risk in this post AND below!

Have you restarted after you disabled it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

yes i do. also, i forget to mention. the windows defender folder i locked, so i cant terminate the process manually.
Windows will protect all WD processes and folders so you can't terminate them. As far as my knowledge goes have you tried installing another AV?

Reactions: JM Safe
Upvote 0

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Actually there is also another method to disable it:

1. Tap on the Windows-key to open the Start Menu.
  2. Type regedit.exe and hit enter.
  3. Confirm the UAC prompt to continue.
  4. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
  5. Double-click on DisableAntiSpyware and set it to 1 to disable WD.
  6. If the preference does not exist, right-click on Windows Defender and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value, and name it DisableAntiSpyware.

Upvote 0

gonzalo

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2014
Hello,

try to download your AV, and if the problem is not solved yet, try to download this free software: NoDefender – Disable Windows Defender In Windows 10 With Few Clicks
yes, i already do it. the process still on
I advise against trying to tamper with processes/services related to either the Windows OS or security software. Success of doing so may result in unexpected issues.

As opposed to just disabling the real-time protection in Windows Defender, have you gone to Options > Administrator Options and unchecked the option "Use Windows Defender"? If not, try doing this and then rebooting and checking if the issue still persists.
i do all of this. nothing happen.

Upvote 0

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I also noticed on my Windows 7 VM when i was testing quihoo that Windows 7 defender was still active as an anti spyware program (security center in the control panel)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.