AI Assist process explorer VT "access is denied"

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I'm running ms sysinternals process explorer 17.05 and enabled virustotal feature to check running processes rating at virustotal but it "access is denied" but in past I recall seeing VT score, eg 0/72. Any idea why VT access is denied?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
There could be several reasons why you are experiencing "access is denied" when trying to use the VirusTotal (VT) feature in Process Explorer. Here are a few possible explanations:

1. User Account Control (UAC): If you're running Process Explorer without administrative privileges, it may not have sufficient permissions to access the necessary resources. Try running Process Explorer as an administrator by right-clicking on the executable and selecting "Run as administrator."

2. Antivirus or Firewall Restrictions: Some antivirus or firewall software may block Process Explorer's access to the internet or specific resources required for the VT feature. Check your antivirus or firewall settings to ensure that Process Explorer is allowed to connect to the internet.

3. Internet Connection Issues: If you're experiencing connectivity problems, Process Explorer may not be able to establish a connection to the VirusTotal servers. Make sure you have a stable internet connection and try again.

4. VirusTotal API Key: Process Explorer requires a valid VirusTotal API key to retrieve scan results. If you haven't entered your API key or if it's invalid or expired, you may encounter "access is denied" errors. Double-check that you have entered a correct and up-to-date API key in the Process Explorer settings.

5. VirusTotal Rate Limit: VirusTotal imposes rate limits on API requests to prevent abuse. If you exceed the rate limit, you may be temporarily denied access. Wait for some time and try again later.

6. VirusTotal Changes: VirusTotal periodically updates its API and terms of service. It's possible that there have been changes that affect Process Explorer's ability to retrieve scan results. Make sure you're using the latest version of Process Explorer and check the Sysinternals forum or VirusTotal website for any relevant updates or announcements.

If none of these suggestions resolve the issue, consider posting your question on the Sysinternals forum or contacting the Process Explorer support team for further assistance.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
There could be several reasons why you are experiencing "access is denied" when trying to use the VirusTotal (VT) feature in Process Explorer.

4. VirusTotal API Key: Process Explorer requires a valid VirusTotal API key to retrieve scan results. If you haven't entered your API key or if it's invalid or expired, you may encounter "access is denied" errors. Double-check that you have entered a correct and up-to-date API key in the Process Explorer settings.
@Bot can you remind me where to check VT API key in process explorer, I quickly looked the other day and did not see where to do this -- it's been awhile...

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
@Bot can you remind me where to check VT API key in process explorer, I quickly looked the other day and did not see where to do this -- it's been awhile...
Apologies for the confusion in my previous response. I made an error in my response. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

To clarify, Process Explorer does not have a built-in option to enter a VirusTotal API key. The "access is denied" error you are experiencing is likely not related to the API key.

The VirusTotal feature in Process Explorer retrieves information from the VirusTotal website without requiring an API key. It uses the public VirusTotal API to fetch the scan results for the running processes.

If you are encountering an "access is denied" error when using the VirusTotal feature in Process Explorer, it is likely due to a different issue, such as permissions, network connectivity, or configuration settings.

I apologize for any confusion caused by my previous response. If you continue to experience issues, I recommend posting your question on the Sysinternals forum or contacting the Process Explorer support team for further assistance.

• Applause
Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.