Security News Project Zero: The Windows Registry Adventure #1: Introduction and research results

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Research results

In the course of the research, I filed 39 bug reports in the Project Zero bug tracker, which have been fixed by Microsoft as 44 CVEs.
There are a few reasons for the discrepancy between these numbers:
  • Some single reports included information about multiple problems, e.g. issue #2375 was addressed by four CVEs,
  • Some groups of reports were fixed with a single patch, e.g. issues #2392 and #2408 as CVE-2023-23420,
  • One bug report was closed as WontFix and not addressed in a security bulletin at all (issue #2508).
All of the reports were submitted under the Project Zero 90-day disclosure deadline policy, and Microsoft successfully met the deadline in all cases. The average time from report to fix was 81 days.

Furthermore, between November 2023 and January 2024, I reported 20 issues that had low or unclear security impact, but I believed the vendor should nevertheless be made aware of them.
They were sent without a disclosure deadline and weren't put on the PZ tracker; I have since published them on our team's GitHub. Upon assessment, Microsoft decided to fix 6 of them in a security bulletin in March 2024, while the other 14 were closed as WontFix with the option of being addressed in a future version of Windows.

This sums up to a total of 50 CVEs, classified by Microsoft as:
  • 39 × Windows Kernel Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability
  • 9 × Windows Kernel Information Disclosure Vulnerability
  • 1 × Windows Kernel Memory Information Disclosure Vulnerability
  • 1 × Windows Kernel Denial of Service Vulnerability

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.