Guide | How To Protect Yourself Against MITM Attacks

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Hi

I understand that the server will change its settings to 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.0.2 which is expected

the server doesn't change, it is SimpleDNS that redirect your DNS adress to localhost (to itself in fact) , that allows you to use its features.

So, if I want to use another DNS server will Simple DNSCrypt reverts the DNS server's settings to 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.0.2? If yes, then how to go about in resolving this?

Disable one of the 2 button in simpleDNS then enter manually the wanted DNS in the protocol tabs.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi Umbra

If I choose a DNSCrypt server which supports DNSSEC validation it means I'm getting the best of both encryption and validation of the DNS query/response from the server, right?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Polygon and AtlBo

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

Simple DNSCrypt v0.3.9 just released and I got it updated. A message prompts the update and you just acknowledged the update.

Changelog

What's new in Simple DNSCrypt 0.3.9
January 4th, 2017
  • Fix resolver update button
  • Switch to .NET 4.6 (the block list now can download remote files with TLS 1.2)
  • Support DNSCrypt v2 on certificate validation (analyse button)
  • Remove failed resolvers from the list (analyse button)
Simple DNSCrypt Changelog

Last edited:

smokeyjoe

Level 1
Verified
Dec 25, 2016
Hi - Looking for some assistance please.. Simple DNSCrypt updated itself a couple days ago and I can't get it to work. After the update I went to dnsleaktest and noticed it was not showing the resolvers I selected, as it previously did, but showing some OPEN DNS servers. I think the reason for that is because I changed my secondary dns to an Open DNS server..

So I reinstalled, selected my network card and resolvers, turned on the service, verified it had changed my dns servers to 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.0.2 but I lost all internet access.

I hope there is something "simple" I'm missing.. as I usually overlook minor details.. and networking stuff is not something I'm good at.

Thanks!

Thread author
Hi - Looking for some assistance please.. Simple DNSCrypt updated itself a couple days ago and I can't get it to work. After the update I went to dnsleaktest and noticed it was not showing the resolvers I selected, as it previously did, but showing some OPEN DNS servers. I think the reason for that is because I changed my secondary dns to an Open DNS server..

So I reinstalled, selected my network card and resolvers, turned on the service, verified it had changed my dns servers to 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.0.2 but I lost all internet access.

I hope there is something "simple" I'm missing.. as I usually overlook minor details.. and networking stuff is not something I'm good at.

Thanks!

Report it to the developer (bitbeans) on GitHub. There have been a lot of problems with Simple DNSCrypt as of late.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Thanks!
FYI, no problem on my side. No Kaspersky for me.

Thread author
Thanks.. took a minute to find the discussion link.. looks like it is most likely a problem with my Kaspersky (which I'm learning has a lot of compatibility issues)

There have been a lot of problems with Simple DNSCrypt on W10 lately; cannot connect to DNS server, will not uninstall completely, will not reset network settings to default upon uninstall,...

It is best to report it to bitbeans.

Thread author
There's definite problems with SDNSC on W10.

The more people that report their issues to bitbeans, the sooner he will get them fixed.

Few people bother to report issues. If bitbeans doesn't know about them, then he ain't gonna fix them. On top of it he's busy, so it's not like he's on GitHub every single day.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
What's new in Simple DNSCrypt 0.4.1
January 22nd, 2017
  • Updated dnscrypt-proxy to 1.9.3
  • Updated dnscrypt-resolver.csv
  • Include Universal C Runtime DLLs (KB2999226)
  • Updated Spanish translation (@pablomh)
  • Updated French translation (@didihu)
  • Updated Indonesian translation (@christantoan)
  • Updated Swedish translation (@eson57)
  • Updated Russian translation (Vlad)
  • Updated Uninstall.exe (clear network cards)
  • Fixed the update check (there are now UnitTests!)
  • Note: There was a bug in the update parser (0.3.9 and 0.4.0). So maybe you need to download this release manually. Sorry!
Simple DNSCrypt Changelog

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.