TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Good afternoon, I have to insert in my computer an old flash drive which has not been used for 6 years... That one cames from the age when I had no computer knowledge, so it could be infected. I need to format this one in order to use it for other data. How can I protect myself, in order to prevent a possible attack (I remmeber there was some kind of registry tweak for disabling USB file execution)? I am running Voodooshield, is that enough?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Insert it in computer with real-time updated AV and format it there. If you don't have an alternative I think VS will protect you from any executions from an USB. It's the purpose of default deny software.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I would love to protect myself without installing other products. I have to do this only once. What about this registry tweak? Will it be useful?
Disable execution from Removable Disks:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\RemovableStorageDevices\{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}]
"Deny_Execute"=dword:00000001

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
That's the disabling of the autorun feature of the USB stick

Frankly, most (if not all) AV/internet security suite will have removable media protection.

Alternatively, you can install MCShield and USB Disk Security. As for BadUSB if you have HMPA then the protection feature is there otherwise download the free G Data USB Keyboard Guard

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
It's the purpose of default deny software.
True...
@TheMalwareMaster so with VS you need not worry w/ regards to USB virus/malware.

Note: you can also try ShielaUSBshield and smadav, I'm currently using the latter hopefully my USB will be infected when I go to a colleague of mine so I can test it out. I can attest to ShielaUSBshield effectiveness, and IMO its much better than MCshield both have the function to clean and unhide files.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I would love to protect myself without installing other products. I have to do this only once. What about this registry tweak? Will it be useful?
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\RemovableStorageDevices\{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}]
You can disable Windows Autoplay feature from the control panel if I'm not wrong

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
That will work, but you will not be able to execute anything from a Removable Device in the future, like some portables and similar

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Is this tweak the same as disabling autoplay from the control panel?
No, disabling autorun will just remove the functionality for execution settings stored on flash drives in autorun.inf file. It will change the the value data in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\NoDriveTypeAutorun

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1/ disable autoplay
2/ install an AV which can quickly scan the USB silently (avira, avast, WD are the ones I found working). KIS has a very slow USB scan so this is bad. Norton is consistently not working although USB protection is enabled. That how I got infected last time due to norton's non-existing USB protection
3/ immunize the USB using panda USB vaccine. I don't like bitdefender
4/ McShield

Last edited:

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I won't tweak the registry becuase I have to check some files in the drive. Voodooshield should work, anyway, I have a backup of all the files

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
20170110_172401.jpg
Everything was safe in there. Even found this oold AVG installer ahhaha

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually turning off the autoplay via Control Panel or registry tweak will save you from 99.99% of autorun attacks.

I recommend to download USBFix (Bitdefender Partner tool) as it can effectively clean all the infections including shortcut viruses where typical AV failed to do so.

Reactions: ng4ever

A.S.K

Level 1
Verified
Dec 19, 2016
Use SMADAV tool i am using from past 6 months its very good and additional protection for USB drives.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.