Protecting The Ocean With Big Data

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

Douglas McCauley is a Santa Barbara-based marine scientist who is looking to technology for new ways to take on some of the ocean's biggest challenges. Along with his colleagues at the Benioff Ocean Initiative (BOI)—a UCSB-based collaboration between marine biologists, tech innovators, and citizen scientists—McCauley has helped develop numerous platforms to monitor threats to marine ecosystems.

What we do to the oceans is gonna dictate what happens to our species, to our place on the planet. We can't forget it.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
There's one thing that Douglas McCauley mention in the video that I belive many don't know about or understand.
The Oceans produce half of the oxygene of the planet.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Great post upnorth. A couple of years ago I read an article describing the effects of methane release due to decomposing permafrost and it was saddening. I could not find the article I read but here is a short yet technical article on the matter. FYI. :cautious:

Edit: Forgot to add the link? Past extreme warming events linked to massive carbon release from thawing permafrost Scroll down a little to References and there is article after article about how this effects the ocean.

Last edited:
Reactions: upnorth

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Deep sea mining I briefly heard about before. CIAs project Azorian was a bonus.
In the summer of 1974, a large and highly unusual ship set sail from Long Beach in California. It was heading for the middle of the Pacific where its owners boasted it would herald a revolutionary new industry beneath the waves. Equipped with a towering rig and the latest in drilling gear, the vessel was designed to reach down through the deep, dark waters to a source of incredible wealth lying on the ocean floor. It was billed as the boldest step so far in a long-held dream of opening a new frontier in mining, one that would see valuable metals extracted from the rocks of the seabed. But amid all the excited public relations, there was one small hitch - the whole expedition was a lie.
The secret on the ocean floor - BBC News

Reactions: vtqhtr413

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Fantastic article and site, I'll be looking it over. The link I posted, never mind.:censored:

Reactions: upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.