Advice Request Protection against viruses and threats

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
As already said, Kaspersky should run a "soft disabling" of WD (until You pause or Exit Kaspersky protection)... but I got once some a similar issue after getting updates from Windows Updates, WD was re-enabled and active :unsure:

I would not recommend "kav removal tool" unless issues with standard uninstaller...

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

As already said, Kaspersky should run a "soft disabling" of WD (until You pause or Exit Kaspersky protection)... but I got once some a similar issue after getting updates from Windows Updates, WD was re-enabled and active :unsure:

I would not recommend "kav removal tool" unless issues with standard uninstaller...
Just out of curiosity, was the Windows update a regular one, or one of the bigger feature updates,like the one they just released in Nov?

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I got this issue sometime ago, now I can't remember :unsure:

No worries.

Reason I was asking was I know that the bigger feature updates can sometimes cause issues, especially if you do an in place upgrade vs a clean install. I'm not sure if @JB007 did the most recent feature update in place, or not, but of he did, maybe that's where this issue may be coming from, especially if it was working fine before.

Something to consider atleast as a possibly.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
No worries.

Reason I was asking was I know that the bigger feature updates can sometimes cause issues, especially if you do an in place upgrade vs a clean install. I'm not sure if @JB007 did the most recent feature update in place, or not, but of he did, maybe that's where this issue may be coming from, especially if it was working fine before.

Something to consider atleast as a possibly.
I did not made clean install of the Kaspersky patches (latest is g).
I don't know when is the moment that this issue started because I never look at WD parameters because in my mind when I install an AV WD is automatically disabled. Today I look at this parameters thanks to @oldschool note (#11).

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I did not made clean install of the Kaspersky patches (latest is g).
I don't know when is the moment that this issue started because I never look at WD parameters because in my mind when I install an AV WD is automatically disabled. Today I look at this parameters thanks to @oldschool note (#11).

Sorry I was referring to the Windows major feature updates. Did you upgrade to the latest version of W10 that was released in Nov? Sometimes those big updates cause problems, so it may have been fine before, but after the Windows update it may have broke it. Or like you said it may have always been like that and you just found out now. Either way I would try a reinstall of Kaspersky and see if it goes away, or even try installing another 3rd party av like Eset and see if you have the same problem.

If it goes away after the reinstall of kaspersky then it was something related to when it was installed initially. If it doesn't go away, but goes away with another AV, then it's something related to Kaspersky specifically. If it doesn't go away with another AV then its definitely related to Windows/WD.

I know alot of testing, but I always like to rule everything out one step at a time.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@JB007 hi, I just had a look at your screenshots of autoruns and Windows Defender's log
I don't see anything too suspicious in autoruns. I may suggest you do a registry cleanup using Wise Registry Cleaner -> deep scan -> remove

you may try to UNCHECK those missing drivers. If something goes wrong, recheck them

About WD's log: I think the problem has been solved. The culprit is WD and Kaspersky conflicting with each other. Kaspersky tried to disable WD while WD tried to re-enable itself
the definite solution is to disable WD permanently using Defender Control because it can lock WD from enabling itself while other methods can't, as far as I know

I suggest you remove some apps like Intel security Assist and unneeded intel apps, disabling Windows Search service, disabling some Dell's services on startup
you have too many startup entries on startup

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

@JB007 hi, I just had a look at your screenshots of autoruns and Windows Defender's log
I don't see anything too suspicious in autoruns. I may suggest you do a registry cleanup using Wise Registry Cleaner -> deep scan -> remove

you may try to UNCHECK those missing drivers. If something goes wrong, recheck them

About WD's log: I think the problem has been solved. The culprit is WD and Kaspersky conflicting with each other. Kaspersky tried to disable WD while WD tried to re-enable itself
the definite solution is to disable WD permanently using Defender Control because it can lock WD from enabling itself while other methods can't, as far as I know

I suggest you remove some apps like Intel security Assist and unneeded intel apps, disabling Windows Search service, disabling some Dell's services on startup
Agreed.

One thing that would be interesting to know if he has the same issue with another 3rd party, or not. Reason being is if it's a Kaspersky, WD issue then I think it needs to be reported to Kasperky to see if they can address it via an update. Using another program to turn off WD is a good solution, but it doesn't fix the issue for everyone using Kaspersky and is having the same issue. If he still has the issue with another product, then we can say for certain that it's a WD problem.

I like having a fix, but I also like to know for sure what the issue is, so is it WD, or Kaspersky?

Last edited by a moderator:

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Sorry I was referring to the Windows major feature updates. Did you upgrade to the latest version of W10 that was released in Nov? Sometimes those big updates cause problems, so it may have been fine before, but after the Windows update it may have broke it. Or like you said it may have always been like that and you just found out now. Either way I would try a reinstall of Kaspersky and see if it goes away, or even try installing another 3rd party av like Eset and see if you have the same problem.

If it goes away after the reinstall of kaspersky then it was something related to when it was installed initially. If it doesn't go away, but goes away with another AV, then it's something related to Kaspersky specifically. If it doesn't go away with another AV then its definitely related to Windows/WD.

I know alot of testing, but I always like to rule everything out one step at a time.
Agreed.

One thing that would be interesting to know if he has the same issue with another 3rd party, or not. Reason being is if it's a Kaspersky, WD issue then I think it needs to be reported to Kasperky to see if they can address it via an update. Using another program to turn off WD is a good solution, but it doesn't fix the issue for everyone using Kaspersky and is having the same issue. If he still has the issue with another product, then we can say for certain that it's a WD problem.

I like having a fix, but I also like to know for sure what the issue is, so is it WD, or Kaspersky?
Thanks @Raiden
Yes I have Windows 10 Pro 1909.
I don't know if this can help but I have checked my office desktop which had the same tweaks and there is not that issue.
wd.PNG
wd1.PNG

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thanks @Raiden
Yes I have Windows 10 Pro 1909.
I don't know if this can help but I have checked my office desktop which had the same tweaks and there is not that issue.
View attachment 231657View attachment 231658

Hmm it seems like the upgrade may have broken something during the upgrade process. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Kaspersky to see if it fixes it? Maybe just doing that will fix it as it will get Kaspersky a chance to re register with the security center, hopefully shutting off WD.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hmm it seems like the upgrade may have broken something during the upgrade process. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Kaspersky to see if it fixes it? Maybe just doing that will fix it as it will get Kaspersky a chance to re register with the security center, hopefully shutting off WD.
Thanks @Raiden
Right now I only uninstall Kaspersky and install F-Secure Safe for trying it. I will reinstall Kaspersky after that and let you know.
F-Secure is correctly registred on the security center.
wdfs.PNG

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thanks @Raiden
Right now I only uninstall Kaspersky and install F-Secure Safe for trying it. I will reinstall Kaspersky after that and let you know.
F-Secure is correctly registred on the security center.
View attachment 231688

Glad to hear it's working with F-secure.

It seems like somehow Kaspersky didnt keep its registration with security center after the upgrade. If and when you reinstall Kaspersky, it should fix it, if not, then I would report it to Kaspersky a s see what they say. It may be a bug in Kaspersky, as it seems to be working fine for you with another 3rd party AV. This is why I like trying different things before going OH stupid MS, let me use a 3rd party program to turn off WD permanently. Meanwhile a simple uninstall and reinstall is all I needed to do.

Keep us posted.(y)

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016

Hi @Evjl's Rain
Thanks+++ for your work on my "Autoruns" and WD log. I am reassured of not be infected
I will try to disable Dell's services on startup, but what are the other entries ? I think that these entries are automatically added...
Another question is about the registry cleanup, if my understanding is good I have read many times in this site from different members that it is not good to clean the registry ? :unsure:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.