PSA: Chinese UC Browser on iOS harvests your data even in incognito mode

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Okay, it’s a rather obvious PSA not to install a Chinese web browser on your iPhone, but Alibaba’s UC Browser is actually the fourth most popular browser in the world by user numbers, and the eighth most downloaded mobile app in the last decade …

A security researcher – whose work has been verified by two others – has found that UC Browsers is about as big a privacy nightmare as you can imagine. It not only logs every website you ever visit and sends it to an Alibaba-owned server, it does this even in incognito mode. Oh, and it captures your IP address, too.

The rest and video

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I wonder if they will also get sued like Google for tracking users in incognito mode. :unsure: Probably not!

it’s a rather obvious PSA not to install a Chinese web browser
Tell this to an Opera user and he/she will take out their false teeth and throw it at you. :p
j/k about the Opera comment.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
I wonder if they will also get sued like Google for tracking users in incognito mode. :unsure: Probably not!

Tell this to an Opera user and he/she will take out their false teeth and throw it at you. :p

Its an open question whether you want to get tracked by Chinese military Vs Google for money. Between the two I would stay away from the Chinese at any cost because of the Government involvement in spying user data.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
The rest and video

The only difference is–Google isn't actually spying by collecting visited URLs (unless you opted for that). It's known fact that chinese software shouldn't be trusted and that it collects literally everything it can. Just remember Cheetah Mobile and their Android apps, and where are they now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.