Puchku Chele

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 24, 2014
Hi All,

Here is my system details

upload_2014-12-24_21-59-34.png

I have a very old Laptop :oops::oops:. Next birthday I am getting a new one though :D

Here are the softwares I use

upload_2014-12-24_22-1-18.png

Though I donno how Unity Web player came in my system :eek::eek::eek:.

Thank you all for spending your busy time to look into my post.

Reactions: tonibalas

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Add the following extensions to your browser.
  • LastPass - Password Manager
  • Adblock Plus - Blocks annoying ads

You should remove
  • Driver Updater v3.2 (I don't know who makes that software, but it could mess up your drivers as it could download the wrong one)

Unity Web Player allows you to play games online that are created with unity.

Looks pretty good though.

Last edited:
M

MalwareT

Great config :) Anyways i have some suggestions:

1)Uninstall Unity Web Player,UltraISO,Foxit Reader,Driver Downloder (all bloatware) not with programs and features, with IObit Uninstaller or some other you want.
2)Install VirtualBox to test software and do more stuff that doesn't affect to your main OS, considering that you have 4GB RAM
3)Add CCleaner or Wise Disk Cleaner to maintain laptop
4)Add some backup solution like AOMEI or O&0.

Puchku Chele

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 24, 2014
Add the following extensions to your browser.
  • LastPass - Password Manager
  • Adblock Plus - Blocks annoying ads

You should remove
  • Driver Updater v3.2 (I don't know where that came from nor know who makes it)

Unity Web Player allows you to play games online that are created with unity.

Looks pretty good though.
Done

upload_2014-12-24_22-15-25.png

Puchku Chele

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 24, 2014

1)Uninstall Unity Web Player,UltraISO,Foxit Reader,Driver Downloder (all bloatware) not with programs and features, with IObit Uninstaller or some other you want.
2)Install VirtualBox to test software and do more stuff that doesn't affect to your main OS, considering that you have 4GB RAM

I nened UltraISO and foxit reader. Ultra ISO helps me to create bootable USB drive and Foxit I use to open PDF file.

I will remove Unity Player and Driver downloader though.
I have portable CCleaner

Reactions: Oxygen and MalwareT
D

Deleted member 21043

Hi,

If you ever come across a program you think may be potentially unsafe you can use Sandboxie to run it. Sandboxie is a sandbox which executes the file in a "virtual environment", keeping any malicious activity away from affecting your main machine.

On the other hand, you could use a Virtual Machine instead like @Malware Test suggested.

Just watch out, some malware is "Anti-VM" and/or "Anti-sandbox", meaning they don't perform any malicious/suspicious activities to trick the user as they know they are being sandboxed/running a VM, but once executed outside of that they start the attack to the user... So make sure you watch out. :)

Puchku Chele

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 24, 2014
Hi,

If you ever come across a program you think may be potentially unsafe you can use Sandboxie to run it. Sandboxie is a sandbox which executes the file in a "virtual environment", keeping any malicious activity away from affecting your main machine.

On the other hand, you could use a Virtual Machine instead like @Malware Test suggested.

Just watch out, some malware is "Anti-VM" and/or "Anti-sandbox", meaning they don't perform any malicious/suspicious activities to trick the user as they know they are being sandboxed/running a VM, but once executed outside of that they start the attack to the user... So make sure you watch out. :)

I don't install much softwares. I am kind of a movie guy.

Reactions: Parth Dhanani

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I have a really similar configuration with you, you can check it out and see what other software I add on to make it more secure. I think one thing you should add is a firewall, I would recommend comodo firewall because I think they really do a great job with their firewall and HIPS module integrated into the firewall! Of course you would need to know the basics to prevent yourself from blocking out core programmes that you computer needs to function.

E

eight

You should ideally move Firefox from Any other software to Web Browser(s).

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Hi All,

Here is my system details

View attachment 38109
I have a very old Laptop :oops::oops:. Next birthday I am getting a new one though :D

Here are the softwares I use

View attachment 38110
Though I donno how Unity Web player came in my system :eek::eek::eek:.

Thank you all for spending your busy time to look into my post.
If you were not aware that Unity Web Player was installed on your system, then you should remove it as you didn't intend to install it in the first place. It probably came as a add-on-installation with some other program you've installed.
Driver Downloader is probably adware installed with similar way as previous Unity Web Player.

UltraISO (just as PowerISO) are the best tools available for manipulation of the disk image files as well as virtualization of the same, so if you need those, I wouldn't recommend you to uninstall it.
For PDFs I prefer SumatraPDF, but Foxit is also great. Just watch, and again, be careful when installing it as installer contains programs that setup is offering to install, but actually not needed for Foxit Reader to operate. (bundleware).
Unchecky can help with those "suspicious" installations

For your configuration, I can suggest you to install some AdBlocker extension. Also, your screenshot of the installed AV and what you posted on the configuration ticket, doesn't match :p

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012

I agree with this and some of the other suggestions!! Thanks for sharing your config :)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Very good config i just have one suggestion, add another on demand scanner like Emsisoft Emergency Kit or HitmanPro
Thanks for sharing:)

Reactions: MalwareT

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hello seems you don't have backup software; why not do a system image with the built in for Windows (Control panel---> type from search "system image" or try 3rd party programs like Macrium Reflect, EASEus Todo Backup, or others. Just make sure you have a bootable recovery disc any case of troubles happen.

Puchku Chele

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 24, 2014
For your configuration, I can suggest you to install some AdBlocker extension. Also, your screenshot of the installed AV and what you posted on the configuration ticket, doesn't match :p

I liked the free version and bought the paid one. After that I found free version was better. But as I already paid I chose to keep it like that. I had another desktop where I have Free version installed :D

Puchku Chele

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 24, 2014
Very good config i just have one suggestion, add another on demand scanner like Emsisoft Emergency Kit or HitmanPro
Thanks for sharing:)

Thank you for the suggestion. I am downloading both of them. :D
You should ideally move Firefox from Any other software to Web Browser(s).

I donno, I installed firefox and it was good. But launching time is better for Chrome so kept Chrome. Anyway I don't surf much ( daily 1 - 2 hours).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.