jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
More About Puppy Linux
What is Puppy Linux?

Puppy Linux is an operating system for computers. Other well-known operating systems are Microsoft Windows, Apple OSX, and MS-DOS. Puppy Linux is based on GNU/Linux. It is completely free and open source software.
How is Puppy Different?

Small size, ~100MB! This lends itself to some very useful and unique features.
'Live' booting from CDs, DVDs, USB flash drives, and other portable media.
Runs from RAM, making it unusually fast even in old PCs and in netbooks with solid state storage media.
Very low minimum system requirements.
Boot time is well under a minute, 30-40 seconds in most systems.
Includes a wide range of applications: wordprocessors, spreadsheets, internet browsers, games, image editors and many utilities. Extra software in the form of dotpets. There is a GUI Puppy Software Installer included.
Puppy is easy to use and little technical knowledge is assumed. Most hardware is automatically detected.

What are Puppy's Goals?

The Puppy Linux goals (adapted from Barry Kauler) are:

Puppy will easily install to USB, Zip, hard drive or other storage media.
Booting from CD (or DVD), Puppy can load itself totally into RAM so that the CD (DVD) drive is then free for other purposes.
Booting from DVD (or CD), Puppy can save all work to the DVD (CD).
Booting from USB flash drive (or other flash media), Puppy will minimize writes to extend its life.
Puppy will be extremely friendly for Linux newbies.
Puppy will boot up and run extraordinarily fast.
Puppy will have all the applications needed for daily use.
Puppy will just work, no hassles.
Puppy will breathe new life into old PCs.
Puppy will load and run totally in RAM for diskless thin stations.

More Information

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nice review. Going to test this out. I like that you can install it on a USB

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I've tried it on a VM a few days ago, but the UI seems to confuse me. :huh:

I love how it worked good when RAM was 128MB and when the CPU Execution Cap was set to 11% (You may also wish to check my main laptop specifications). I am planning to get an old PC and install Puppy on it. :D However, I have a question:
1. How can I update software in Puppy Linux (I can't find any option in puppy package manager to update software)?
2. It isn't a rolling distribution, right?

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually you can check what's happening on this link. Including the release of Puppy Linux.

Well if the case there is a new version, then you can download and do the same process like you do on the previous version how you install it.

Cause once you boot up with the newly files of Puppy Linux, your session (lupusave.3fs or lupusave.4fs) would be upgraded and no longer to produce a new one.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The good thing using this distro as other related linux OS since using RAM, it could prevent the overheating/increasing tremendous temperature as the Hard Disk Drive isn't active on that case.

As I touched my laptop, no more produce heat so no harm at all. :)

GA4E1

Verified
May 4, 2013
Never tried this Linux Distro. Thank you for the share. Will download and try. I only used Ubuntu so far but many times visit the forums for help.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
I like puppy linux while i am not using linux from too many years i am using linux since 4 months some time & my first and only linux is puppy due to its size & memory consumtion,the best thing is you can carry it with your thumb drive,you can protect your whole file with in it with passward & so what you got a nice privacy + security. They are providing its exe form too to install alongside window but in my case it doen't work may be there a prob. with my system but its a minor issue as i am install it through fragal install & it works smoothly while firefox it carry not up to date i downloaded slacko puppy few days ago & it is vs 19 & after checking for update it says firefox is up to date while firefox 23 is release few days ago.But at the last i have to say it is good to to keep it on thumbdrive.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
Hello

very nice review

i started using puppy since 4.1.1 unleashed to get files off of no boot computers but sometimes it
would not boot on the pc so i used KNOPPIX or Damn Small Linux

usually 1 of the 3 will boot i could never figure out why though but it saved my friends a lot of
grief even though there computer was gone (hp DV5 or DV6 lappy's) for overheating,part of a recall
and past warranty

can't stress backup backup backup enough lol

thanks

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.