PUPs & AV

ncage

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2017
Guys do you feel the better AV solutions like Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Emsisoft, ect do a good enough job with PUPs or do you think you should always have a separate program for these type of issues. If your recommend another program PUPs what are some of the better ones: Malwarebytes, zamana, ect..?

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
If you tweak Kaspersky properly you can have a great protection against PUPs, for example: aplication control changes set always to block, activating definitions for pup and maybe trusted mode. Emsisoft by default make a great job against PUps and I recommend it for this since has better performance than kaspersky, I don't know about bitdefender.
You don't mentioned it but ESET offer one of best protection against unwanted applications, you need to turn on all the definitions and that's all
You always need a second opinion scanner so, grab one free of your preference, I have seen zemana and malwarebytes doing different detection, I think they can complement their efficiency

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
You don't mentioned it but ESET offer one of best protection against unwanted applications, you need to turn on all the definitions and that's all

I literally just finished scanning my system with Eset Online Scanner and it detected TMAC (Mac Address Spoofer), CCleaner setup exe, and two Windows Defender signatures as potentially unwanted software and/or malware. Let's talk about Eset's big problem with false positives.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
i would choose zemana over malwarebytes if i was you.

ncage

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2017
Thanks everyone for the replies. While it appears some AV vendors are good for detecting PUPs i don't think its worth it to switch off my current AV product (bitdefender) just for that especially considering i just purchased my licenses. I have a lifetime malwarebytes license but the realtime protection is just WAYYYY to heavy but i'll probably occasionally scan with it, hitman pro, EEK, & Zemana

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Due to my Test on MH , Eset is very strong against PUP, for Kaspersky If you tweak Kaspersky properly you can have a great protection against PUPs,
about Emsisoft I do't have Idea...(I use it last year not bad not good)
about Bitdefender I think they have on right way...
But one of the great tools against PUPs is malwarebytes anti malware.

Reactions: FrFc1908

Guys do you feel the better AV solutions like Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Emsisoft, ect do a good enough job with PUPs or do you think you should always have a separate program for these type of issues. If your recommend another program PUPs what are some of the better ones: Malwarebytes, zamana, ect..?

Are you constantly downloading and installing new, unknown\untrusted programs ?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

Does anyone knows whether Avast is providing real-time PUP protection? Or it detects only during manual/scheduled scanning?

If the former then where is the setting e.g. like in Emsisoft

Thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.