PurpleArmor Security Setup

D

Deleted member 178

all seems fine.

Extensions and Plugins: maybe add Lastpass (secure password manager)

i suppose you are using Windows Firewall?

PurpleArmor

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
Correct, I am using Windows Firewall. I have KeePass as a password manager.

D

Deleted member 178

ok so you are fine, you can add Sandboxie Free for virtualizing your browsers and surf safe : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Review-Sandboxie

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Have you tried adding Adblock Plus? Also you have UAC on high? medium?

PurpleArmor

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
McLovin said:
Have you tried adding Adblock Plus? Also you have UAC on high? medium?

UAC is on default. Isn't Ghostery enough.

madyrocksin said:
What do you have for back up ??

I don't have any backup software. Any simple solution you could recommend.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
For Backup depends if you want free or Paid

Free > you can use something like EASEUS Todo Backup Free

Paid > Acronis True Image

Just examples of of a paid & free,there are many some good some not so good

PurpleArmor

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
exterminator20 said:
For Backup depends if you want free or Paid

Free > you can use something like EASEUS Todo Backup Free

Paid > Acronis True Image

Just examples of of a paid & free,there are many some good some not so good

I prefer a free solution. I don't mind if the free edition of a product does not have automatic backup. I don't have my external drive connected that often.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Speaking of Backups:

Windows 7 can create a System Image of the C:\ drive to a DVD (or External HDD / USB).

Else make backup copies of your confidential data (ie. Docs, Photos) to USB and keep them secure, incase of hardware failure.

P

Plexx

To add to what Earth said, Windows 7 backups (created by Windows 7 built in solution) can allow you to mount the image as a virtual hard disk if you wish to explore and retrieve certain files.

Other than that, most recommended backup solutions, to add to what exterminator said are: Paragon Backup & Recovery Free, EaseUS TODO Backup and Macrium Reflect.

All 3 are good in their own way. I personally use Paragon as I had some issues with the other 2, but there has been users who had no issues with Ease or Macrium but had it with Paragon.

Best approach, use Windows 7 builtin one first and then trial yourself.

Nothing really to add in terms of security. Decent setup. Just be careful which sites you visit and what you download and you should be fine.

D

Deleted member 178

I will say as Earth, if you dont mind about the features of your backup solution, the one built-in Windows is enough, and its integration and ease of use is ,of course, better than any 3rd party one.

PurpleArmor

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions. I will do some research on the backup solutions mentioned.

Umbra Corp. said:
ok so you are fine, you can add Sandboxie Free for virtualizing your browsers and surf safe : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Review-Sandboxie

Will disabling Sandboxie during startup and manually starting it affect the program in any way?

D

Deleted member 178

no, since Sbie need to be manually activated to sandbox your browser/software; it does nothing during the boot.
When it is working in the background it will just "monitor" your system and tell you if one of your softwares is compatible with it and added to its list.

PurpleArmor

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
no, since Sbie need to be manually activated to sandbox your browser/software; it does nothing during the boot.
When it is working in the background it will just "monitor" your system and tell you if one of your softwares is compatible with it and added to its list.

I meant the Sandboxie service and driver component. I checked Sandboxie.com's FAQ section and it seems that it's fine.

D

Deleted member 178

If you want a faster boot, set them in "manual" or "automatic (delayed)" in the services.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
PurpleArmor said:

Ghostery, only blocks things in your web browser. UAC blocks any setting that is changed to the Windows, Registry, and System folders. :)

I

illumination

McLovin said:
PurpleArmor said:

Ghostery, only blocks things in your web browser. UAC blocks any setting that is changed to the Windows, Registry, and System folders. :)

I think the OP was answering both your of your suggestions, his UAC is default settings, and his question of Ghostery being enough was directed towards adding Adblock Plus.

@OP, the suggestions already stated with the back up solutions, would have been the only thing i would have added, looks good other wise!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
McLovin, that's sort of incorrect.

Please see 'What is User Access Control' (here) and 'What are UAC Settings' (here) for more details.

McLovin said:
UAC blocks any setting that is changed to the Windows, Registry, and System folders. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.