PurpleArmor Security Setup

PurpleArmor

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
illumination said:
McLovin said:
Ghostery, only blocks things in your web browser. UAC blocks any setting that is changed to the Windows, Registry, and System folders. :)

I think the OP was answering both your of your suggestions, his UAC is default settings, and his question of Ghostery being enough was directed towards adding Adblock Plus.

I meant to say what illumination said about Ghostery. Doesn't Ghostery pretty much cover what Adblock Plus is suppose to do

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
PurpleArmor said:
I meant to say what illumination said about Ghostery. Doesn't Ghostery pretty much cover what Adblock Plus is suppose to do

No. Ghostery blocks trackers, AdBlock Plus blocks Ads. Yes, you can use ABP to block trackers as well, but I don't think you can use Ghostery to block ads. (I may be mistaken)

PurpleArmor

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
I haven't seen an ad in quite a while now so maybe blocking some trackers blocks ads as well.

PurpleArmor

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
Upgraded my computer to Windows 8. I decided to stay with Windows Defender for now. Slight changes with Firefox and Chrome but overall it is the same.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you use multiple accounts (Win+C) > Settings > Change PC Settings > Users > Under 'Other users' then 'Add a User'. You can set-up Family Safety for minor accounts. And if you're running as the main (admin) MS account, you'll receive an email regarding Family Safety and how to set it up.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its your choice if you will use the metro feature as they are many third party programs to turn off it.

PurpleArmor

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
Although I am fine with KeePass I am interested in using LastPass. I am okay with the new Metro UI. It takes a little getting use to it but it's fine.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
LastPass has an App in the Windows Store. Install and Login using your credentials, any sites stored can be accessed as well as modified. Only downfall, is you will be browsing with IE10 with limited functionality - like I am now, since just performed a Refresh.

However, with LastPass you can install add-ons for Firefox, Chrome, IE10 (Desktop) amongst other common browsers.

PurpleArmor

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
Added LastPass for Chrome. Any advice on how to make it more secure. I already limited the countries to log-in from.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
PurpleArmor said:
Added LastPass for Chrome. Any advice on how to make it more secure. I already limited the countries to log-in from.

With the password manager like Lastpass, you can stored the passwords/accounts safely and enhance to make it stronger by producing random characters by generator itself.

As possible avoid duplications.

PurpleArmor

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
I installed Avast and made slight changes on the browsers. I also installed Thunderbird. Any ideas on how I can make Thunderbird more secure.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.