Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Hard_Configurator on Default Settings
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, AdwCleaner, Emsisoft Emergency Toolkit, TDSSKiller
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome, Firefox, and Edge (unused, but updated)

Extensions: uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Decentraleyes, ClearURLs
Secure DNS
Quad9 (setup via router/network-wide)
Desktop VPN
N/A
Password manager
Bitwarden, KeePassXC
Maintenance tools
cleanmgr.exe, Windows Defrag
File and Photo backup
N/A
System recovery
Restore points when big changes occur to the system.
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
What I'm looking for?

Looking for maximum feedback.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Good config. Consider using HitmanPro as second opinion scanner and replace Decentraleyes with LocalCDN. It’s basically the advanced version of it. Also don’t forget that you don’t need HTTPS Everywhere in Firefox as its already integrated. You can find the setting at the bottom of the privacy settings. :)

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
A good basic setup!

I would highly recommend getting some good backup software into your security mix here.

Recommendations:

AOMEI Backupper (Standard - Free): Free Backup Software for Windows 10/8/7 - AOMEI Backupper Standard

Macrium Reflect (Free): Macrium Reflect Free

Having great backup software is critical for having a good foundation to your PC security setup. Here at MT we have lots of folks who use the above software so don't hesitate to try one or the other or even both. Ask us questions if you'd like - that's what we are here for!

Having Malwarebytes and ADWCleaner isn't needed. Stick with Malwarebytes vs. having ADWCleaner as well. I would second what @SecureKongo has mentioned.

In addition to the above I would recommend using a VPN in this day and age. Lots of good VPN services out there. Windscribe is a great one and another great one that I would recommend is ExpressVPN.

~Brian

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
As a university student I use 2, for compatibility reasons. Edge is just there because well... Windows.
Glad to hear! I used before up to 6 browsers merely for that reason alone, even with specific online services that does the compatibility testing great, but it's still way much faster to click and start a local browser. Not everything on a machine/system is solely about security. Those browsers you have installed today is still great. Keep it up as you got the approved basic tag. (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.