Qihoo 360 Total Security QVM 3

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
These guys are on the ball. QVM 2 already caught a Trojan Generic Heuer during a full scan. Its a darn good antivirus for free. Its the QVM 2 ENGINE & NOT the 3 ENGINE. Sorry for the mistake.:(

Last edited:
Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Just noticed the update of the QVM 2 to QVM 3. These guys are on the ball. QVM 3 already caught a Trojan Generic Heuer during a full scan. Its a darn good antivirus for free.
Are you sure this is just not another false positive??, if I was you I would upload the sample to VirusTotal or share it in the Malware Hub for investigating.

Enjoy!! :D

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
It appears it may not be the antivirus you thought it to be.
I would recommend ESET going forward. Lowest amount of False positives of almost all vendors.
Respectfully,
Thanks

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Jumping to assumptions is never a good sign. If the file wasn't malicious prior to the update, and not detected by any of your on-demand scanners. Why would you think it was malware, after the update?

PS: You never know QVM 4 might remove a Windows system file, and may think Windows itself is malware. Haha.

So as already suggested, use online services like VirusTotal or an alternate Task Manager to monitor running processes (ie. Process Explorer).

Do you have a VT result page link? :D

Reactions: Littlebits

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I don't have a VT page link. It was a detection of a app I downloaded. No harm done as I have it white listed. Its still the best AV for free IMO. McAfee just sat there while a nasty program loaded up in the past.Its better a false detection than NO detection.

Reactions: Kent and Koroke San

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
It is kind of strange how everyone in the Malware Hub wants to brag about Qihoo 360 detection on sample packs but when they try it on their own system all it seems to detect is false positives. The main reason I don't recommend it.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Every AV lead to false postie, nothing new about it. Avira also do false positive so Avast too. Probably it's bitdefender engine detected it as false positive & also it uses outdated bitdefender database most of time, bitdefender probably fix some false positive on their newly release virus database but too bad, qihoo don't get their updates so often. Before enabling bitdefender engine a user must know how to deal with false positive then no problem at all.

Reactions: Kent

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I have had only two false detections. I think that pretty darn good IMO. I would rather have that & check it out with VT than have the AV program sit there & do nothing while I get infected!!:eek:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Jumping to assumptions is never a good sign. If the file wasn't malicious prior to the update, and not detected by any of your on-demand scanners. Why would you think it was malware, after the update?

PS: You never know QVM 4 might remove a Windows system file, and may think Windows itself is malware. Haha.

So as already suggested, use online services like VirusTotal or an alternate Task Manager to monitor running processes (ie. Process Explorer).

Do you have a VT result page link? :D
Excellent advice, I just wonder how long it will take for Qihoo 360 to detect remove or quarantine a system file? leaving Windows unable to boot, I would like to see how that would be easily restored.

All AV's have false positive but the more AV engines used increase the chances of rendering Windows non-operational which is more difficult to fix then repairing damage from an infection.

Reactions: marg and nissimezra

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
if you are looking for low false positive use MSE, almost non.

as for ESET its a good AV, but it does have quite a lot of false positive.

as for qihoo i still haven't used it on real pc, it is doing an impressing job on testing.

Reactions: Littlebits

ithurts_whenIP

May 6, 2015
Excellent advice, I just wonder how long it will take for Qihoo 360 to detect remove or quarantine a system file? leaving Windows unable to boot, I would like to see how that would be easily restored.

All AV's have false positive but the more AV engines used increase the chances of rendering Windows non-operational which is more difficult to fix then repairing damage from an infection.

my 3rd week using 360, the first few hours definitely had the hair standing up on the back of my head with the false positives (I didn't know), but with a little bit of patience and tinkering I realized that I can send these files off to qihoo without a browser and see what they say.
360 is definitely good but its not for the impatient. You know what they say, everything good comes in its own time.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.