App Review Qihoo Total Security 360 - ransomware test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I feel ya brother :) , but I still refuse to install a Chinese AV solution and for very obvious and documented reasons.
If I did go back to sig based solutions Emsisoft would be my first stop for their BB ;)
I didn't like it too. My home PC has nothing to lose, no critical tasks or data and so for experiment purpose, I've Qihoo installed.

BTW, when I was checking out the recent Policy of Qihoo (the one that used to mention about collecting banking data), it doesn't say that anymore. I am not sure if it has changed that way.

For my need, I'll either prefer CIS or a really good defn+control based AV.
CIS troubles a lot with apps unknown to it and I have to deal with many. So my go-to is a lesser restriction based app, KIS :)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
But you used IObit Malware Fighter? IObit is a Chinese company.
Lets be direct here, I "tested it" with no intention of keeping it.
Yes a Chinese company named QQ owns it, I did my homework brother ;)
And if you think back, I paid for it to test it .

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I want to know if a product is good or not no matter where it is from.
Now weather I will buy it and support it is another story.
I don't dislike China, or it's people, I just don't care for their government forced lack of
privacy. If given a choice I bet QQ and the owners of Qihoo would do things differently,
but they have no choice, unless they want the Government to step in and shut them down.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Although I do not like Qihoo, it did very well on the test. And about this lack of privacy in Chinese programs, but not only China, because there are countries that are worse yet, the United States and Russia are one of the countries that spy the most people, but Even so people use Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, Comodo, and nobody says anything about them, they just talk about China o_O

Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
hi, I did

you can play x2 speed

Throughout the video I had my eyebrows raised, but with awe!
I don't think such a brilliant performance by KIS was expected by anyone, with only the System Watcher enabled. I found another reasons to stick with it :)

Btw, in case the active infection could not be controlled or even deleted, a reboot for Advanced Disinfection becomes very much necessary.
It's fine for the video purpose not to do it, but quicker you do, the better because not every time KIS will be able to delete the active infection.
In case malicious processes are already launched in the RAM which are preventing KIS from deleting these programs with any known means, a reboot is mostly necessary as it asks.
This creates a secure environment in boot and disinfects or deletes all running malware and their effect so that they doesn't get back anyway.

Thanks a ton for the video Evjl ;)

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Although I do not like Qihoo, it did very well on the test. And about this lack of privacy in Chinese programs, but not only China, because there are countries that are worse yet, the United States and Russia are one of the countries that spy the most people, but Even so people use Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, Comodo, and nobody says anything about them, they just talk about China o_O

Ah! The Irony! :rolleyes:

The only difference is that in China the government does it publicly, whereas in other countries people like Snowden have to "uncover" these facts.

Btw, great video as always Evjl Rain. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.