Assigned Question about AntiLogger Software

This thread is being handled by a member of the staff.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In such clearer investigation, based on preview Microsoft privacy terms on the article from The Register a quote clearer stated on what it does mean.

[When you] enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features.

Now seems a little bit confusing right? Well let's put on a little logic.

When we say typed characters, it can be original or encrypted since it use for determining the characters for checking any grammatical/spelling errors.

As I typed here, for sure its already transmitted any information to improve the language vocabulary though.

Reactions: LabZero
H

hjlbx

Any anti-keylogger should, theoretically, prevent the recording of keystrokes.

However, there are two problems with this - and one is rather unique:

1. Anti-keyloggers do a relatively poor job; it seems there is always some soft(s) that can detect and record the keystrokes - even encrypted. Reliable and definitive test results are few and far between.

In the test results I have reviewed, there is no single anti-keylogger that was able to defeat every single keylog soft or method.

Really - I've looked everywhere for solid testing of security softs against keyloggers. There is none... at least none from "reputable" malware test labs. The only tests I can find are user evaluations and testing - and who knows what methodology was followed.

2. There are technical issues with Windows since it is the OS. I do not know of any anti-keylogger that states it can prevent the OS from logging keystrokes. It is a technical issue that obviously is difficult to answer - but I suspect the answer is "No."

I don't use anti-keyloggers for anything other than banking (Oxynger - virtual keyboard) since their effectiveness under all conditions is dubious.

It is probably much more reliable to use an extensionless browser - that is sandboxed - and exit the browser immediately afterwards. Plus, use an outbound firewall notification... However, this all fails if the keylogger is white-listed on the system and allowed to run without restriction.

Keyloggers and rootkits are the most worrisome in my estimation - and both are difficult to defeat.

Just sayin'...

HJLBX

L

LabZero

Specifically.

The WindowsHookLib is a library used by Windows to capture all input signals received from the pc.

This library consists of two sublayers:

MouseEventArgs and KeyborEventArgs enhance respectively to capture the signals of the mouse and keyboard.

Through the HOOKS you can "snap" the keyboard and/or mouse to any application, by calling the windows function SetWindowsHookEx that is in the library "user32."

Hooking up the system keyboard a keylogger, this will be able to intercept all keys that are pressed.

Now the point is that any antivirus or specifically antikeylogger (Zemana or others) controls only if an EXTERNAL application or malware to Windows and obviously NOT Windows itself makes a call to the windows function SetWindowsHookEx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: frogboy

Sloth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
In such clearer investigation, based on preview Microsoft privacy terms on the article from The Register a quote clearer stated on what it does mean.

[When you] enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features.

Now seems a little bit confusing right? Well let's put on a little logic.

When we say typed characters, it can be original or encrypted since it use for determining the characters for checking any grammatical/spelling errors.

As I typed here, for sure its already transmitted any information to improve the language vocabulary though.

Yes, that is what I'm talking about. Its total invasion of privacy. So MS happily gets my userid & password for all websites that I log into.

I don't care about the forums and stuff. But I don't them keeping track of my userid & password for sites like like Steam, Origin, Office login's etc. because if MS servers get hacked then the hacker has all info which sounds pretty messed up.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
You know, a far simpler option is to disable the tracking you don't want. As far as I am aware, the only form of "privacy concern" that can't be stopped completely is "telemetry", which does not send your files/keystrokes etc. back.

Reactions: frogboy and Sloth

Sloth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
You know, a far simpler option is to disable the tracking you don't want. As far as I am aware, the only form of "privacy concern" that can't be stopped completely is "telemetry", which does not send your files/keystrokes etc. back.

Thank you very much for that information. :)

iIda15

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 10, 2015
Hello everyone,

My name is Ida and I am the Business Development Manager at Zemana. I am here to answer all of your questions and to be at your service :)

Just wanted to clarify so you guys are not confused about Zemana AntiLogger and the way it works.

We deliver keystrokes to target application using a secure channel so only the target application receives the keystrokes.

Just seen that you received the answer above :)

Feel free to ask me any kind of questions you might have in regards to our products, PM me... Should you have any other questions, issues, please feel free to contact: support@zemana.com

Thanks!

Ida

Got an answer from the Business Development Manager at Zemana
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/zemana-antimalware-2-beta.372569/page-38#post-2514078
"We deliver keystrokes to target application using a secure channel so only target application receives the keystrokes.

Thanks for sharing with everyone :)

@frogboy I believe KeyScrambler is far better than zenama.
I use the premium version.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion :) :cool:
Have you tried Zemana AntiLogger?

Nop, that's not true, zemana only work on specific programs

Thanks for clarifying :)

No confusing options to set. The Free version scrambles every keystroke, and protects everything that you type

https://www.zemana.com/AntiLoggerFree

Yup that is correct and that is the Freemium so let's not get confused here, just in case, since we are talking about two products here. Zemana AntiLogger and Zemana AntiLogger Free.

Unlike other keystroke encryption software, we block other applications from receiving even the encrypted keystrokes. Only the application, which has keyboard focus, receives the keystrokes via our secure channel.
Please feel free to test out the Keystroke Capturing Simulation Test Program to see how our product is working.

I hope this helped.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Ida,

Can you please give answer to the following question. :)
Win10 is being accused of spying on what we type.
So if I use an AntiLogger Software like Zemana, can Windows still record the original keystrokes or not?

Regards,
Kardo

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
We deliver keystrokes to target application using a secure channel so only the target application receives the keystrokes. So no :)

Thanks for the answer Ida. Great to hear that. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Reactions: iIda15

iIda15

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 10, 2015
I read in Zemana AntiLogger website that it "Encrypts keystrokes".

So my question is can Windows still read the original keystrokes or it can read only the encrypted keystrokes?

Updated OP.

I already answered this :)
Nope :)

Best regards,

Ida

Reactions: Sloth and XhenEd

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
@iIda15, I can't seem to download the leak-tests.

The connection has timed out

The server at dl9.zemana.com is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.