Question About Bitdefender Antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

minegroasprilla

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 21, 2014
Hi. I'm not expert in this matters but I have a question.

Emsisoft Anti-malware uses "Real-Time File Guard", "Behavior Blocker" and "Live-Cloud Verification".
I want to know if Bitdefender AntivirusPlus has similar layers of prevention like that.

Thanks.

Infamous

Level 1
Verified
Dec 20, 2015
Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2016 contains real-time file and process scanning, some behavioural protection and cloud integration.

The real-time protection essentially supports scanning the file system in real-time (for example, if you downloaded a program this will trigger the real-time protection to scan this newly downloaded file since it would have been created). The same applies to other scenarios (if you moved a file for example); if you run a program, it can also be scanned by the Bitdefender real-time protection. In other words, it's just like other AVs/Emsisoft file guard in terms of features included in the real-time protection.

The behavioural protection includes features in Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2016, such as Active Threat Control and the Ransomware Protection feature.

You can read more about the features at the official website: Best Antivirus - Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2016

Personally, I recommend you test out both products and then decide which one you feel more comfortable using. If I was deciding upon which one out of the two vendors to go for, I would go for Emsisoft over Bitdefender simply because Emsisoft has a lot more to offer in my opinion - it has a dual engine scanner which also contains detection from Bitdefender, it has a very well built behaviour guard for zero-day protection (it contains a lot more than Bitdefender has for zero-day protection), and the web guard which I also prefer compared to the Bitdefender web protection. I also trust Emsisoft a lot more when it comes down to privacy.

Hope this helped. ;)

Reactions: toto

thepierrezou

Level 8
Verified
Sep 25, 2013
Both are really good. Bitdefender is really quiet Emsisoft isn't. In bitdefender IS you have the firewall, a really good one, and personally I don't like the Emsisoft firewall.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Thanks Infamous.
So, for you, Is Emsisoft the best Antivirus?

There is no such thing as the best antivirus.
I have tried both Bitdefender and Emsisoft.
Bitdefender is very silent. it won't prompt you, notify you, alert you... nothing. Basically kinda feel at ease. Resource wise is pretty heavy. Quite a no. of program does not run compatibly with it as well.

Emsisoft is not so silent, but pretty okay. I like the UI. Scanning is pretty fast as well.

Both product protect you very well.

If you want the best antivirus, fix that itchy hand and the brain that control the hand first. These two are the main culprit of why u need an AV. :p

Reactions: XhenEd

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Both products contain security layers for each of those categories, which you mentioned.

Generally, BitDefender is much heavier than Emsisoft.
BitDefender is also much quieter, and as such it will almost not prompt the user about any security-related event at all (for me this is a negative aspect of BitDefender) while Emsisoft might generate quite a few alerts, which an average user might find annoying or, in extreme cases, overwhelming. However, these alerts which Emsisoft produces allow the user to exercise proper control over his/her system, which is extremely important in order for maximum security to be ensured.
Overall both products offer mostly the same amount of protection, with Emsisoft perhaps offering more when the user is more experienced in terms of computers or IT in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: SloppyMcFloppy

Infamous

Level 1
Verified
Dec 20, 2015
Thanks Infamous.
So, for you, Is Emsisoft the best Antivirus?
No, there is no best Antivirus in my opinion. Please see this thread: Why there is no "best" Antivirus product - it explains further.

However, if I was deciding between Bitdefender or Emsisoft, I would go for Emsisoft (personal preference). The reason behind this decision is based on many different factors, some of which I will list below:
  • I prefer the zero-day protection components included in Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Internet Security.
  • Emsisoft also make use of the Bitdefender engine for their scanner (it's a dual-engine scanner).
  • I trust Emsisoft more when it comes down to privacy.
  • I prefer the Emsisoft UI (UI is very important to me - unless you are me you will not understand this... Probably something OCD related, who knows!).
That's not to say Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2016 is a bad product, because in actual fact it is a good product. You will be protected with either products you choose, however you cannot just rely on your security software - if the user is careless then you're bound to become infected at some point regardless of the AV solution being used on the system.

I recommend you test out both Bitdefender and Emsisoft products and then decide which one you feel more comfortable using.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Bitdefender does not only relies on traditional approach but contains numerous feature to obtain in depth analysis upon improvement of detection besides of AVC feature that acts like BB.

If you will check too much on paperworks from independent testing organization where Bitdefender is better than Emsisoft however in real life they have same adequate of protection.

Bitdefender's silent automated detection makes more convince from users around.

thepierrezou

Level 8
Verified
Sep 25, 2013
My lastest post wasn't so good, I'll try to give you more details.
I tested a lot Bitdefender, and if you set the IDS and the AVC on maximum. It almost block all malware. But like all antivirus it can't be perfect.
Some people here are saying that Bitdefender is heavy but I don't think they tested it so long, after one or two week we can really see how Bitdefender Photon is working well :)
If you don't like Bitdefender just beacause he's to quiet, don't be in autopilot mode.
For me the bitdefender firewall is a lot better than emsisoft firewall.
No changelog for bitdefender, I don't think they care about community.
On maximum setting I don't know how can you be infected with bitdefender, maybe if you're unlucky or you're clicking everywhere.

Emsisoft has a great support, their devs are kind.
Emsisoft Interrnet Security can sometimes be buggy. And it's incompatible with Virtualbox.
Emsisoft is good as Bitdefender. Maybe a little lighter but personally I don't feel much the difference.
If we talk about privacy I trust more Emsisoft too.

Like Infamous, I think you should just test both, and see what you prefer. But don't forget Photon, it works start working one week after the installation.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
For me the bitdefender firewall is a lot better than emsisoft firewall.

Emsisoft is good as Bitdefender. Maybe a little lighter but personally I don't feel much the difference.

So which one is? better than or as good as? :p

Anyway I agree for you to install and try them one by one. Different system has different security taste. Some works while others may not. Alot of factors involved. Best is test yourself and see which suits your style and taste. :)

Reactions: DracusNarcrym
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

@minegroasprilla Comodo Firewall is completely different to an anti-virus, if you can use it (it is very complicated) then yes, there may be one or two issues with them together but it SHOULD be fine.

Reactions: minegroasprilla

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I have a question:
Does Bitdefender Antivirus Plus detect PUPs?.
Well, not really. They usually let PUPs run even if you SUD them, they will not add to signatures, especially chinese adware. If you are looking for a security software aggressive against PUPs i would recommend norton or eset on the paid side (I would also add Malwarebytes anti ransomware) or Avira in the Free side

Reactions: minegroasprilla

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
PUA/PUP for Bitdefender is mediocre but expect their behavior protection to be solid at all. Sometimes the cloud enhancement uses on such different way compare to Norton and few others which they rely very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.