Question about Free Windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
Hi All:

Hey I was wondering, when Win 10 comes out, and I download the software to use for 1 year, and I assume it will come with a serial number for that 1 year.

Then I install it, and all my favorite software, and get it setup just the way I like it, and then make an image of my new installation...

When my year is up...

Can I buy a retail version of the software, and just use the new serial number to replace the serial number MS gives me for 1 year.

OR

Do I have to reinstall everything with the new retail version serial number.

Thanks

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Check eligibility; Genuine Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update required.

Windows 10 is a Free Upgrade, for a limited period of up to 1 year after Launch (RTM).

Once activated, Windows 10 and future updates are free, unless you modify your hardware.

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure we are understanding each other...

Yes I qualify. Yes it is free for one year...

BUT MS surely gives everyone a serial number so they can install the 1 year free edition of Windows 10...

BUT once that year is up, can I buy a retail copy (just so I have a hard copy, which will have a retail serial number on the DVD).

And now can I just swap the serial numbers
OR
do I have to reinstall everything when the year is up???

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Rod,

I am little confused with your post.
Why would you want to buy Win 10 when you have an eligible pc & Win 10 is free for eligible pcs?

If you upgrade during the 1 year free period...Win 10 on that system will remain free after 1 year & till the life time support of Win 10. And after upgrading & Win 10 activation successful...later you can format & reinstall too.

Its not clear now if you will get a key during upgrade or activation will be some kind of automatic by Microsoft.

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
I want a physical copy, not tied to an online account. Its free for one year, when that year is up you would need a new serial number from MS.

SO my question remains...enter new serial number Yes or No\

OR

Install everything all over again BECAUSE YOU CAN'T USE A NEW SERIAL NUMBER on that free installation.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
you have to buy a retail license, remember that that key was tied to the previous version of windows you have installed, once you format or change your hardware no matter if it is within the 1 year period grace you must need to provide a key to activate windows.

If you want to make a clean install and want to take advantage of that offer you would need to install windows 7/8 activate those with your OEM keys (if applies) and then upgrade to windows 10, it is a tedious task or also you can make a backup of your windows 10 copy once it is installed on your pc.

however there is a last option, if you want to reactivate windows 10 after formatting you may wish to backup your license this program may help you with that, but remember that at this moment there is no official support for win10 (surely they will support sooner)

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Its free for 1 year - It means you have 1 year to upgrade the eligible pcs & get Win 10 free.
Once you upgrade during 1 year, Win 10 remains free on that system till the supported life time of Win 10. And I dont think you have to activate every year. Once activated it will remain activated so need new key from MS as activation is tied to an online account with your system identification. Even you format & reinstall you will not need to require to enter any key as activation will be automatic online. Atleast for now this is the case.

And guess if you have a retail key you can activate with it.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Gricardo21,

I read that you can do format & reinstall later once you upgraded & activation successful. No need previous operating system.

You mentioned previous OS needed for format & reinstall, are you sure?

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
hehe...Microsoft clarified this as many read it the wrong way (easy to do since they say "Windows as a service"--dumb vernacular).

You have 1 year after launch to claim your free upgrade. After that, you have Windows 10 on that device for the life of the device.

You can do a clean install after you create your ISO/USB installation media after you upgrade. When you search for official information, limit your search to site:microsoft

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well as said, 1 year deadline to obtain a LIFETIME Windows 10 OS using your previous key from 7/8/8.1 (OEM/Retail key)

For retail key then likely purchase it to register more machines to install, since OEM is only 1:1 ratio.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Retail doesn't let you install on multiple concurrent machines; you can move it from one machine to another.

OEM is only for one machine ever but reactivation with hardware changes isn't an issue (at least for me it hasn't been).

Win10 upgrade is less than that: it will never be reactivated after a major hardware change. Check Microsoft's blog. This is why you need to make sure your hardware is installed the way you want and all your firmware is updated prior to upgrading. (new BIOS = new motherboard = new device = no more Win10 upgrade)

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Gricardo21,

I read that you can do format & reinstall later once you upgraded & activation successful. No need previous operating system.

You mentioned previous OS needed for format & reinstall, are you sure?

would you mind posting the source, since i know to active any windows version you at least must have a key (a license) that being said you cant actually active a windows 8.1 copy with a windows 8 key, both their validation system is not the same, so i think this would apply to windows 10, suppose you upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10, once you format, i dont think windows 10 would rather allow to activate it with a windows 8.1 key

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
Hi All:

Hey I was wondering, when Win 10 comes out, and I download the software to use for 1 year, and I assume it will come with a serial number for that 1 year.

Then I install it, and all my favorite software, and get it setup just the way I like it, and then make an image of my new installation...

When my year is up...

Can I buy a retail version of the software, and just use the new serial number to replace the serial number MS gives me for 1 year.

OR

Do I have to reinstall everything with the new retail version serial number.

Thanks

The free upgrade is not just for 1 year.

That 1 year limit is for the free upgrade, i.e. if you are using Win 7/8/8.1 then you can claim the free upgrade till July 2016. After that the free upgrade offer is not valid and you would have to pay for Win 10.

What they said is that you can make a fresh install after you upgrade to Win 10 as you'll be provided with an option to make an ISO for clean install.

Once you upgrade W10 w/ the free upgrade offer you will able to clean reinstall Windows 10 on same device any time

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/605899873360019457

The thing that we have to note in that tweet is that it says "same device" but I'm pretty sure that the limitation applies only to OEM keys and not for retail keys as you can deactivate it from command line and use that key in another new machine.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
I'm pretty sure that the limitation applies only to OEM keys
exactly, i wonder how this would work as for a clean copy windows would have to ask you for a serial number... if you upgrade from another ver of windows i dont think that microsoft would disclose tool to get an activation key/serial... so we have to wait until the time comes to properly say so... and the other fact that you cant active a newer windows version with a key of an old one :/

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
exactly, i wonder how this would work as for a clean copy windows would have to ask you for a serial number... if you upgrade from another ver of windows i dont think that microsoft would disclose tool to get an activation key/serial... so we have to wait until the time comes to properly say so... and the other fact that you cant active a newer windows version with a key of an old one :/

MS won't release any tool to get the new serial key but there will be 3rd party tools.

http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios
http://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/

Reactions: frogboy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I want a physical copy, not tied to an online account. Its free for one year, when that year is up you would need a new serial number from MS.

SO my question remains...enter new serial number Yes or No\

OR

Install everything all over again BECAUSE YOU CAN'T USE A NEW SERIAL NUMBER on that free installation.

No, the upgrade is lifetime.

Buying a new license means for a clean install (not an upgrade). Install on any PC.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
would you mind posting the source, since i know to active any windows version you at least must have a key (a license) that being said you cant actually active a windows 8.1 copy with a windows 8 key, both their validation system is not the same, so i think this would apply to windows 10, suppose you upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10, once you format, i dont think windows 10 would rather allow to activate it with a windows 8.1 key
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-upgrade/578d0b7f-57e4-4893-b9d1-6cfac0d6290a

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
3rd party tools.
thanks guys, but i think that MS still need to clarify these questions, i know that there are third party tool, but since microsoft already said that it would be free forever then MS would need to supply a tool or a method to install beyond formatting so am curious how this stuff will actually work

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.