Advice Request Question about K9 Web Protection

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hum I would say You can, since it is a stand alone product...
Thanks. I didn't realize that Kaspersky split this product off from the parental control module of KIS. This new product sounds very good, and it has a free tier. Perfect. I think I will switch over to it, when my Norton Family subscription expires.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yes, in fact in K2020 there is no "Parental Control" any more, but "Kaspersky Safe Kids" offered as an optional service (similar to Kaspersky PassWord Manager) the user may download and integrate it with KIS/KTS in main GUI.
Can Safe Kids monitor and block web activity in Edge browser? I ask because Norton Family cannot.
Second question: can I set up Safe Kids to block all websites by default, and only allow according to whitelist?

mediator_ram

Level 1
Verified
May 2, 2019
According to Softpedia k9 got an update on Jan 7th, 2019
Can someone test it? did they redesign the UI?
I'm using K7 for the past 5years and I haven't noticed any difference in it. However, it keeps my system free from any troubles so I would highly recommend it as it also costs less than any other antivirus packs.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I'm using K7 for the past 5years and I haven't noticed any difference in it. However, it keeps my system free from any troubles so I would highly recommend it as it also costs less than any other antivirus packs.
This thread is about K9 web protection, not about K7 antivirus.

Reactions: harlan4096

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I tried Kaspersky's filter and it's excellent. I encourage you to try it. All you need is a Kaspersky account. It keeps children protected online from inappropriate sites.
Thanks going to test it out. I just hope it is better than Adguard/Yandex Family DNS, they ignore reported adult webpages, even after years. :cautious:

Is there any other free alternative to K9 Web Protection other than Kaspersky Safe Kids?
Forticlient's web filter - Forticlient - Next Generation Endpoint Protection - you can report via Fortinet URL Rating Submission

Then there is DNS filtering, which is problematic, since it blocks legitimate webpages, like video/image sharing and it does not accept exceptions.

CleanBrowsing - IPv4 and IPv6 Anycast DNS Firewall and Resolver - you can report via support@cleanbrowsing.org
OpenDNS - Setup Guide | OpenDNS - you can report via https://community.opendns.com/domaintagging/
UltraDNS - UltraRecursive DNS on the Global Anycast Network | Neustar

An extension to force safe search: Enforce Safe Search (=Adult Filter)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
can I set up Safe Kids to block all websites by default, and only allow according to whitelist?
To answer my own question: No, you cannot do this at present, although there are plans to add this option in the future.

Reactions: harlan4096

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Technical Support for K9 Web Protection is no longer available. While Technical Support for K9 has ended, we’ve created an uninstall tool to help you remove the application from your computer. This tool will be available until October 31st, 2019.
Symantec is offering a year of Norton Antivirus Plus (regularly $59.99) to K9 subscribers for only $39.99. Norton Antivirus Plus provides comprehensive, multilayered security to protect against existing and emerging malware threats. Norton Antivirus Plus also helps protect your private and financial information when you go online. Enroll now by calling 1-800-655-2090

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.