Advice Request Question about Malwarebytes windows action Centre settings

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
Hey there,

I am running Malwarebytes premium and Heimdal Foresight.
For Malwarebytes Windows action Centre option the option that selected by default Is let Malwarebytes apply The best windows action Centre settings.

3 questions,
1) is this the recommended option in my case?
2) also, despite this option having been selected in Windows Security Centre neither Malwarebytes or Heimdal are detected, and Windows security antivirus and firewall are running as well, At least so it seems....Because again there is no indication in Windows Security Centre that they are detected..
3) Would you guys also let Windows defender antivirus and firewall run along these two programs?

E

Eddie Morra

3) Would you guys also let Windows defender antivirus and firewall run along these two programs?
I personally would not use Windows Defender as well as Malwarebytes Premium and Heimdal Foresight. You can disable the real-time protection for Windows Defender and still keep it activated to benefit from features like SmartScreen (if you wanted to) though.

Malwarebytes do not have a Firewall component yet, and I do not know whether Heimdal Foresight does, therefore I would personally leave Windows Firewall enabled unless Heimdal Foresight provided you with one.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
@dabluez98 Malwarebytes and Heimdal will offer you excellent protection.No need to use Windows Defender.To do that :

Open the Malwarebytes Interface > Settings > select Always register Malwarebytes in the Action Center.

It should be ok then. Malwarebytes will then be detected as your main protection, and Heimdal will be your second protective component.Sometimes you may need to restart for Malwarebytes to be detected in the security center.Hope this helps:giggle:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Ok, for another opinion on this.

I would let Windows Defender run.

Malwarebytes and Heimdal are both suspect. MBAM has been hammered in comparative testing when last tested. I still like MBAM, and I own and use 5-lifetime licenses. But I would not rely on it. Heimdal is also suspect... they have never submitted themselves to a test --- probably for good reason. In @Evjl's Rain testing here at MT, it did not do well in filtering. And it is not as good as the free patchmypc.com at exploit prevention.

Having a cornerstone capability is probably a good thing with these two useful adjuncts (useful additional capabilities).

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
I am thinking if I add Kaspersky antivirus but ONLY let the antivirus component run (turn all of its other functions off??). Then I think maybe windows defender will be absolutely not necessary?

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I am thinking if I add Kaspersky antivirus but ONLY let the antivirus component run (turn all of its other functions off??). Then I think maybe windows defender will be absolutely not necessary?

If you are talking about Kaspersky paid.... it is one of the few that I'd advise you -- that it's all you need. Kaspersky covers all the angles. And let all the rest go.

If it's Kaspersky free... I don't know enough about that to comment.

Reactions: dabluez98
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.