Advice Request Question about the detection rate of Anti Virus for android? I explain my question below.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Mimi26

Thread author
Mar 3, 2022
On the AV Comparatives test: https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/avc_stalkerware_2021.pdf
Different AV's have different detection rates. Here they used 20 stalkerware apps, some AV's detected more than others. So for example, Here we can see that Avast didn't detect Stalkerware 14, Stalkerware 16 and Stalkerware 17, While BitDefender detected Stalkerware 14,16 and 17.

My questions :
So let's say you are using Avast and it doesn't detect 14,16 and 17. If you download BitDefender without deleting/uninstalling Avast, will Bitdefender be able to detect 14,16 and 17(I wrote be able because Avast is present on the system)? Will Avast cause problems for Bitdefender's detection/protection capabilities and vice versa? Basically can these two AV's work together on one android smartphone or will they stop each other from working properly(detecting stalkerware)?
Can two different Android AV's work on one Smartphone?
If they can work together on one Android, would using both Avast and Bitdefender give you 100% detection rate of the listed stalkerware apps?

On this AV Comparatives test : Mobile Security Review 2021
We can see that Avast has a protection rate of 99.6% while BitDefender has a protection rate of 100%. So again can you use these two AV's together at the same time for maximum protection? And here they used 3568 Number of Testcases. What exactly do these test cases include?

Reactions: [correlate]

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Never install and use 2 Antivirus, even deactivated! This is a source of conflict.

Take the antivirus that suits you, and the one you like.
Personally I use F-Secure on PC and on mobile. I have no problems with it.

And as said @Digmor Crusher , no Antivirus will protect you 100%...the best Antivirus is between the chair and the keyboard 😉

Mimi26

Thread author
Mar 3, 2022
No program will provide 100% protection, just pick the one you like, practice safe habits and your good to go.
I certainly wouldn't use 2 AV's at the same time.
Im talking about the listed apps on the link I sent. Would having those two AV's give you a 100% detection of the listed stalkerware? Also from what I know you can have as many AV's as you want on one android, the only bad thing they will do is cause battery drain allot. On windows you definitely shouldn't run more than one AV. On android I don't think it's the same. Are you sure about this?

Mimi26

Thread author
Mar 3, 2022
Never install and use 2 Antivirus, even deactivated! This is a source of conflict.

Take the antivirus that suits you, and the one you like.
Personally I use F-Secure on PC and on mobile. I have no problems with it.

And as said @Digmor Crusher , no Antivirus will protect you 100%...the best Antivirus is between the chair and the keyboard 😉
From what I know its a source of conflict on Windows but not on Android phone. Im not sure though. Was wondering If I can find out here?

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Try it and let us know.

Just because the 2 AV's block that malware today does not mean it will block it tomorrow, there thousands of new malware being created each day.

I believe the most frequent way of getting infected on Android is by downloading shady apps or by social engineering. So again, safe habits will go along way.

Mimi26

Thread author
Mar 3, 2022
Of the exact stalkerware apps in the test, yes (although all participating AV vendors will likely detect them now as samples are shared with vendors after testing, I believe). Of all stalkerware apps out there? Certainly not.
Thank you for the answer thats what I was asking about, the apps on the test.
Another thing I would like to know is...can you have two AV's from different vendors installed on your android smartphone at the same time without them causing problems for each other like detecting malware, spyware, all viruses?
Can two AV's work together on one android smartphone? By work together I mean, if the first AV doesn't detect something can you have a second AV installed for "just in case", like a second opinion basically...
If you have two AV's installed at the same time will they stop each other from detecting malware, spyware, all viruses? Basically will they stop working?

On this test here: Mobile Security Review 2021 . Avast has a protection rate of 99.6% while BitDefender has a protection rate of 100%. So back to what I said, you have both Avast and BitDefender installed. Avast detects lest than BitDefender. You first run a scan with Avast it doesn't find anything then you run a scan with BitDefender as a second opinion. If you have both of them installed at the same time, will Avast stop BitDefender from detecting malicious stuff even though it has a 100% protection rate?

Mimi26

Thread author
Mar 3, 2022
Try it and let us know.

Just because the 2 AV's block that malware today does not mean it will block it tomorrow, there thousands of new malware being created each day.

I believe the most frequent way of getting infected on Android is by downloading shady apps or by social engineering. So again, safe habits will go along way.
Yes I understand that but, will having two AV's from different vendors installed at the same time on your android smartphone stop each other from working properly like detecting malware? check out what I replied to Arequire.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I still don't see any point of installing AV on an Android phone. If you don't install unknown apps, then you should be fine. I even use modded apps on my phone and also used many custom roms in the past. But I always check the modded APKs on virustotal before installing and that's enough for me.
Use a DNS provider like NextDNS with proper configuration/Adguard DNS. An active real time AV is a waste of system resources.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
So two AV's from different vendors installed at the same time on one android will work perfectly together without stopping eachother from detecting malicious things?

It will detect yes, but considering the slowdowns and other crashes, it is not recommended

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.