Question: Do I need a third party Firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTRUTH

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 10, 2013
I am using avast free antivirus with windows firewall , Do I REALLY need any free firewall like comodo or online armor? I am regular computer user , not using any pirated software, doing some online banking.

Reactions: Malware1

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
RE: Question

NO, Avast and Windows Firewall paired with some common sense, can protect your computer without being need it to install a third party firewall.

Avast Free with windows firewall is a good combo, however adding a 3rd party firewall, like Comodo or Online Armor will also add a HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System) which should increase your overall system protection, and will make it easier to monitor the outgoing traffic (if you like to do this type of stuff).

Nevertheless, if you practice a safe online behavior (You can read here some good tips: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-5-easy-tips-to-avoid-infections ), you don't really need a third party firewall.
I do recommend that you start a thread in this forum: http://malwaretips.com/Forum-Security-Configuration-Wizard , so that we can give you some advice on how to improve your overall security.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its a yes or no, since the configuration combo couldn't lead to problems.

But I must to say that everything from 3rd party firewall are giving a matter of seconds to deal those pop ups even there's nothing wrong through system itself.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I completely agree with Jack. If you always pay attention and don't let your guard down then Windows Firewall is be enough. However if you want better network control learn how to use Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.

If you have a router with a firewall then enable it.

If you would like just a simple third-party firewall without HIPS try ZoneAlarm Free.

If you are willing to learn how to use an advanced firewall with HIPS then Comodo, Privatefirewall or Online Armor are the best. Of coarse using an advanced firewall requires constant maintenance and configuration to allow programs to function properly. Sometimes compatibility issues require even more tweaking.

I stopped using advanced firewalls with HIPS back in 2006 because they require too much of my time and since I always watch what I do, they never blocked malware only trusted programs that I need to run.

I felt a big relief after I discontinued using them and I have not had one single malware infection.

Thanks.:D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Firewall on Windows XP was bad (+ others saying the same thing), but since Windows Vista/7/8 it's a lot better and configurable.

Maybe many, including yourself find Windows Firewall useless due to it's lack of usability?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
shadow2013 said:
:idea:I think windows firewall is useless....I use Avast/w firewall and Malwarebytes with no problems ever!

Windows Firewall (Win 7/8) is not most certainly not useless, I've been using it in my configuration for quite a long while and not had any issues with it being ineffective or letting me down.

Try combining Windows Firewall with software such as TinyWall [Screenshots] or Windows Firewall Control [Screenshots] to make it behave more like some 3rd party firewalls if that's what you would like.

Thanks. ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
shadow2013 said:
:idea:I think windows firewall is useless....I use Avast/w firewall and Malwarebytes with no problems ever!

Well we thought before that Windows Firewall is stinks, but its only set from default configuration thus considered to be silent firewall.

Advance security of WF helps to made it harden protection.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
shadow2013 said:

Really.?
And how is the avast firewall any better please.?
The only thing which hinders the windows firewall is its usability and outbound control.

I would not say it is useless.
It uses the windows service hardening which no other firewall does.
There ipsec authentication and fingerprinting capabilities.
With more usability and control this would be one of the best firewalls out there.
The only difference between windows firewall and 3rd party firewalls is that the 3rd party ones have a better interface and more control.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
shadow2013 said:

It is most likely the author of this post has not given windows firewall a fair chance plus there are add-ons to be used.
Cheers.

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
I am using avast free antivirus with windows firewall , Do I REALLY need any free firewall like comodo or online armor? I am regular computer user , not using any pirated software, doing some online banking.
No, you do not need it, and even Avast is not needed, but if it works, then let it be.
Only what I suggest, is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or Super Antispyware - it's better, if use Pro.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Depending on your surfing habits and online smarts, Avast and WF could be enough. If you require a little more protection you can add one of the third party firewall control like Tiny or windows advanced firewall control. Any of these will give you a little more outbound control. You can always add something like sandboxie or even surfcanister. Along with on on demand scanners to scan downloads you should be more than good.

I

illumination

Windows firewall is plenty, unless you like to have complete control over your system and the programs running on it, which as littlebits stated, is a little work on a constant basis.. So it really depends on your uses of your system, but as far as windows firewall being good enough, yes it is.

D

Deleted member 178

Agree with the comments above saying that Windows Firewall is enough, since XP WF has improved quite a lot and 3rd party ones are useless unless you need a kind of HIPS or more options

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.