question on intel optane

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
i bought a new laptop. it only had an ssd. no mention of intel optane addition. the other day a new app appeared in my start menu, "intel optane memory and storage". that app wasn't there when I bought it a couple of months ago. if I click it, it wants to install. my understanding is I need some hardware for optane to work. am I wrong on this, or would installing this benefit my regular ssd? i was going to just delete it, but thought it prudent to inquire from the hive mind to alleviate my ignorance :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It does more than that. It is a driver for optimizing SSD management.
EDIT: The app is the GUI for managing the driver. You don't actually need the GUI, but the driver might be important...

Without this driver, my wife's laptop does not know how to wake up from sleep. But it has no optane hardware, just regular SSD.

The Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management application/user interface is a Microsoft Store* app. It provides users with monitoring and management capabilities for the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) storage subsystem. It also provides support for all Intel® Optane™ memory and RAID features.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
It does more than that. It is a driver for optimizing SSD management.
EDIT: The app is the GUI for managing the driver. You don't actually need the GUI, but the driver might be important...

Without this driver, my wife's laptop does not know how to wake up from sleep. But it has no optane hardware, just regular SSD.

The Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management application/user interface is a Microsoft Store* app. It provides users with monitoring and management capabilities for the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) storage subsystem. It also provides support for all Intel® Optane™ memory and RAID features.
oh, it's an interface app. thanks. and it's good to know the driver's functionality is tied in some complementarian way to RAID with a negative potentiality if removed.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.