Advice Request Questions about Bitdefender Free

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is it worth installing Bitdefender Free?

• Yes

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I want to know some things about Bitdefender Free.
1.- Does Bitdefender Free have continuous development or is a dead product? Or its like Norton Free versions (they have free versions in the past and then removed it.)
2. - Does it have the same signatures and behavior blocker as the paid version?
3.- Does it have any kind of configuration/option possibilities?

I am testing Bitdefender Internet Security 2019, and I see this has a Firewall. The free version does not have this feature, right?
Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 has a Vulnerability Check feature. The free version does not have this feature, right?
Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 has Web Shield Online Protection feature.The free version does not have this feature, right?
Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 has AntiSpam feature.The free version does not have this feature, right?
Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 has ransomware repair feature.The free version does not have this feature, right?

The Advanced threat detection are the "Behavior blocker" the free version have it?

In terms of detection and protection the free version are good for a home user?

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Cant say its a dead product, it took their time to get windows 10 release out but since were been few years on 10, bit defender isnt dead product

What i've heard its more like install + forget

If youre interested using other products with bitdefender free, you can have what you want.

Bitdefender free has behaviour blocker + good signatures

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Free Antivirus Software - Download Bitdefender Antivirus Free

they work on bitdefender free and get from time to time some bugfixes, etc.

The free and the paid version has the same sigs ( from the cloud) and real time + phising protection, BUT

yes just the paid version include a ransomware protection and a vulnerability check feature.

in the free version , it's not possible to tweak something....it have another GUI

so my conclusion: if you wanna save money, go with biti free :)
if you wanna pay for more features and tweaks, take a look for some offers @ amazon, etc..

I'm actually using Bitdefender Antivirus pro 2019 since 10 days...and i'm suprised.
the first bd-version wich is bug-free on my system... more stable and lighter.
bit1.jpg
bit2.jpg

Last edited:

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Bitdefender Free is not dead. It has the same signatures of the paid versions and a nice behaviour blocker.
If you plan to use it, make sure you combine it with an anti-exe, since the AV settings can't be hardened.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Tested myself, it's one of the better free AV products out there. As previously stated though it is an install & forget software. On it's own this method is strong point and a weakness. If you're looking to use this as an AV I would pair this with OSArmor or VoodooShield, whoever I would also use Forticlient (only use web function) as their web signatures have fallen lately in personal tests.

However maybe RAM usage maybe high. Still a great product nonetheless.

~LDogg

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Good product for free. It's light. You install and forget. The only bad thing use many ram

The only bad thing is there is no online support for Bitdefender Free or Bitdefender have no intention of helping you with the free version. You can try to get your problems solve on the forums, but good luck with that because it will take ages for Bitdefender to solve your problems. There is like 1 or 2 Bitdefender staffs running on the forums that are barely active. I don't understand why Bitdefender waste their resources to develop a product that has no intention of supporting it.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
The only bad thing is there is no online support for Bitdefender Free or Bitdefender have no intention of helping you with the free version. You can try to get your problems solve on the forums, but good luck with that because it will take ages for Bitdefender to solve your problems. There is like 1 or 2 Bitdefender staffs running on the forums that are barely active. I don't understand why Bitdefender waste their resources to develop a product that has no intention of supporting it.
You're right. I forgot it.

Reactions: oldschool and AtlBo

StrikeFIN

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2017
Not a dead product, atleast for sure.

Only in June / July many bug fixes from builds 1.0.12.30 - 1.0.12.41 now as latest build, not yet info about 2019 features included Free version update, still signatures for installer from May.

Very likely UI will become similar to 2019 paid products (much simple version, with no settings etc), and other features improved.

Idling RAM about 130MB, more of course with scan and updating, but nothing serious. Even laptops with 4GB should be okay, or atleast my father's laptop is (4GB RAM, slow 64GB eMMC SSD and N4200 processor) working as it always were before installing BD Free.

Last edited:

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi i am really surpresed about this solution, is very ligthweigth, no configs, no conflicts, and have the core functions and features. Now i am using whith heimdal in my game pc, I feel more secure than kaspersky free (tell me crazy but i feel better). Now i have another cuestions but i see that latter

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
I'm also using bd free for two weeks, after using Kfa and Bitdefender feels much lighter than Kaspersky free. No problem so far....
Hi i am really surpresed about this solution, is very ligthweigth, no configs, no conflicts, and have the core functions and features. Now i am using whith heimdal in my game pc, I feel more secure than kaspersky free (tell me crazy but i feel better). Now i have another cuestions but i see that latter
If you have a problem, send mail to Bitdefender... (bitsy@….............com) or contact mailing on Bitdefender website.

Reactions: oldschool and AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Moving from Qihoo to another a-v. Have Comodo and NVT OSA on the system, but I would like some a-v real-time signature detection. I almost installed KSC last night but declined over privacy concerns after reading some of the EULA. Is Bitdefender then the best option? I know I will miss Qihoo's sandbox for Microsoft Office :(...

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Moving from Qihoo to another a-v. Have Comodo and NVT OSA on the system, but I would like some a-v real-time signature detection. I almost installed KSC last night but declined over privacy concerns after reading some of the EULA. Is Bitdefender then the best option? I know I will miss Qihoo's sandbox for Microsoft Office :(...
And i moving to KSC for now and i like it. But 360ts is my love. Bitdefender free have good protection but have not any seting. Eat many ram . I check it with ProcessHacker and use about 600 to 650 mb ram. The same ram use the bitdefender internet securiy 2019. If you want try for 6 months trial. I test it and I did not feel any delay in opening the application and at boottime. Sorry about my bud english Extended Trial - Bitdefender Internet Security 2019

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
It is probably better to use Tencent PC Manager_for_Global-home page instead. It offers a little more, even at the cost of slightly delayed signatures.

I read someplace that Tencent is far more respected in China than Qihoo. Yes, but, as @stefanos says, I am missing the sandbox for office applications and for running unknown downloads...

Thanks @stefanos for the information on Bitdefender. Not sure yet what to do about this. Comodo's sandbox is choppier than Qihoo's, but I may have to sandbox the MSO apps that way

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.