Questions about Emsisoft

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrslothbrok

Thread author
I want to know if EAM 9 + OA is good enough protection for the casual browser? I installed it on my mom's computer, after seeing two different reviews now I am having doubts about its protection capabilities. PC Security Channel said it lacked a disinfection feature, not that good at cleaning and recently seeing MalwareDoctor's review made me become even more concerned. And on the Emsisoft forums there's a post from this person claiming that sophisticated malware disabled EAM 9 and uninstalled it. My mom doesn't go on unknown websites, she mainly sticks with just reading her e-mail and going on Facebook and a few other well-known sites I go on as well. I am worried this won't be good enough protection because Norton always allowed PUPs to be installed.

How good is its Behavior Blocker?

Do I need Online Armor and does it cause more problems than it solves?

Does it has password protection so that malware won't be able to manipulate the settings, turn it off or uninstall it? Because honestly, to me just a captcha image to shut it down doesn't seem very secure.

And when you uninstall it, all it gives you is a message about if it was malware trying to uninstall it to stop it, well exactly how are you supposed to do that?

Where do these people pick up these nasties, like the one on the Emsisoft forum?

What is the probability of catching something like a Trojan or something worse by simply browsing, not clicking on advertisements, even with AdBlock Plus installed in IE?

What about drive-by-downloads?

What more can I do to make her computer more secure?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
And on the Emsisoft forums there's a post from this person claiming that sophisticated malware disabled EAM 9 and uninstalled it.

can you post the link?

How good is its Behavior Blocker?

best one in the market

Do I need Online Armor and does it cause more problems than it solves?

not at all, your mother will not stand it; HIPS are for advanded users

Does it has password protection so that malware won't be able to manipulate the settings, turn it off or uninstall it? Because honestly, to me just a captcha image to shut it down doesn't seem very secure.

call me when a malware will be able to read :D

joke apart, the malware have to be executed, so even if EAM/EIS miss it , Windows' UAC should warn you, and if you click "allow" , blame yourself.

And when you uninstall it, all it gives you is a message about if it was malware trying to uninstall it to stop it, well exactly how are you supposed to do that?

yes it does, it says that you are trying to uninstall it.

Where do these people pick up these nasties, like the one on the Emsisoft forum?

via robots or just by registering here or in some other malware collector's websites :D

What is the probability of catching something like a Trojan or something worse by simply browsing, not clicking on advertisements, even with AdBlock Plus installed in IE?

if you go to some unknown dodgy websites , very high
if you go only to trustworthy and renowned websites, very low

What about drive-by-downloads?

should be blocked by the Surf Protection

What more can I do to make her computer more secure?

using common sense and safe behavior

M

mrslothbrok

Thread author
Couldn't I just turn off HIPS? I've heard Windows firewall was enough, other times I've heard it wasn't. Some websites that say that Windows firewall wasn't enough, a third-party one could only block malware and attacks.

Will AdBlock Plus block most advertisements in Internet Explorer for her?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mrslothbrok

Thread author
^^ He Answered everything well, im just gonna add you could always go with emsisoft internet security 9 beta which is the same but contains a firewall built in with no hips.
I thought it wasn't available for download yet?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
the beta is public, the final is not released yet

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Hello everyone!

Couldn't I just turn off HIPS? I've heard Windows firewall was enough, other times I've heard it wasn't. Some websites that say that Windows firewall wasn't enough, a third-party one could only block malware and attacks.

1. Windows Firewall is more than enough, third-party firewalls offers unique but not really necessary features if you're carefull when using the computer.
  2. Your mother should consider using Opera browser with the µBlock addon (to block ads, in a faster and lighter way than the very bad Adblock Plus)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Win Firewall is more than enough, if you learn how to setup to fit your need, not saying than 3rd party FW will install drivers that may slow your connection, mess your system, etc... OA firewall is obsolete , it uses old technology.

as Tailhey said , or you can use Adblock Edge (a lighter variant of Adblock Plus)

Reactions: PlayerFromTheITtic

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014

Unless you re running windows Xp, then you should use 3rd party firewall, but if you are using win 7 or win 8, windows firewall is moooree than enough, dont trust those so called "web site test" yes you can read a review there and make a comparison, but if you want to know about the truth, there is no better way to know that than try it by your self :)
From my guess...the reason why people keep saying windows firewall isn't good enough simply because they don't see it "working" or at least give some warning so often like 3rd party does, besides..most of 3rd party firewall had compatibility issues...or worse..slowing down your internet connection or slowing down your machine. WF doesn't had that issues, and yes you can get the same results (or even better) with WF :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.