Questions about Malware Testing

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Hey everyone. I just wanted to test out the efficiency of various antiviruses with respect to malware (detection, removal etc). I wanted to know how you guys do it, after collecting the samples.

Do you guys test it on a virtual machine? It is okay to test the same on Toolwiz Time Freeze, and then reboot to prevent the after-effects?

What are your set-up's while testing an antivirus.

M

MalwareT

VirtualBox with set shared folders to read - only (if you use it), no updates at all, set classic theme for better performance, always take a snapshot of clean OS, disable Defender and stop it's service. And make sure that Guest Additions are installed as well :)

Reactions: LabZero

OneDay

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
My experience with VMs hasn't been very good lately, so mostly before testing malware I take a complete system snapshot in case something bad happens to return my PC to its working state. So far so good. Testing in a 'real' system always feels better!

H

hjlbx

Hey everyone. I just wanted to test out the efficiency of various antiviruses with respect to malware (detection, removal etc). I wanted to know how you guys do it, after collecting the samples.

Do you guys test it on a virtual machine? It is okay to test the same on Toolwiz Time Freeze, and then reboot to prevent the after-effects?

What are your set-up's while testing an antivirus.

@jackuars

I use Shadow Defender because it has given me virtually no problems on all my machines.

Virtual Machines can be problematic on some systems in my experience.

The simplicity of Shadow Defender - ease of installation and use - makes it the best light virtualization solution for me.

Reactions: frogboy and Oxygen

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I just take my chances on the system. No shadow defender, no restore, no snapshots. After all one AV has to remove it right :D

No lol just kidding I take snapshots when I test which is not very often (actually not in a year in that matter)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I test with Shadow Defender it lets nothing through in my experience. ;)

L

LabZero

Well, if you're using a PC designed ONLY for malware testing then you can use Toolwiz or rather Shadow Defender that also protects the MBR from overwriting.

If your PC contains personal data and sensitive information, I suggest you to use a VM with Guest/Host sharing disable.
This is because Shadow Defender does not prevent from malware transmitting data via the internet unless you log off the network.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.