Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
1. What kind of impact does it have on the system performance? Is it light as the company claims? Is it prone to surges of high CPU usage that make it hard to use the computer till they subside?

2. Does it allow the user to disable "PUP" detection?

3. In the case of false positive detections, can you restore well from quarantine or is the targeted program gone, period?

Computer: DELL Dimension 2400
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2658 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: WL120GPA872, 117.2 GB, E-IDE (ATA-7)
Drive: WDC WD2500JB-57GVC0, 244.2 GB, E-IDE (ATA-6)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus: Panda Antivirus Pro 17.0.1
Firewall: Panda Antivirus Pro 17.0.1
Ad Blocker: Adguard, Ad Muncher, Adblock Plus
Default Browser: Maxthon 4.4.8.1000

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Those who say that G Data is heavy obviously haven't tried Bitdefender. It killed my laptop with i7 and SSD, literally. At the moment you install it, you can feel it eats your resources, even after full system Scan, it feels like a worm under your skin, crunching. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it on your specified PC, unless you want to make it completely unusable. I see Panda, Webroot, Comodo Cloud AV or Voodooshield as the only options I would consider.:rolleyes:

EDIT: I would use Zemana Anti-Malware with realtime protection enabled and some sort of web filtering extension, maybe even Adguard for Windows.

EDIT 2: Usually whenever I have to deal with low spec PC's I just install Linux Mint, because devs will eventually stop software support for XP versions and with Linux Mint you can mimick XP pretty easily and find alternative programms, a bit of learning with basic commands and you are good to go, your PC will appreciate it. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
@conceptualclarity Bitdefender is not that heavy on my system, you can try on your system.
System specs:
Intel Celeron b820 @1.7 GHz
2GB RAM
Windows 8.1
The RAM usage is like this:
Screenshot (2).png
I agree with the @davisd's suggestion above, use linux instead of xp :)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Just use Bitdefender's generous 90 day trial offer and check how it behaves in your system. It behaves very well on the computer I am testing it, it doesn't mean it will behave well on your computer...

Daljeet

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
When I installed new 2018 version a few months later Bitdefender memory usage is high. After contacting Bitdefender support they suggest me to uninstall VoodooShield that time I ignore. Now it's memory usage is reduce and scanning speed is above average. I change a habit before I scan my computer I close some heavy application. Try your own is the best method to know how Bit perform in your system.I don't know about Bit pup protection but you can restore file as well

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I never managed to stay 2 days with Bitdefender installed on my system, I feel its weight, performance drops a lot, for me it is impossible to use Bitdefender, and I have a powerful computer, but I've never been lucky with it , so I find it strange when someone says that Bitdefender is lightweight, but I know that each antivirus behaves in a way on a computer, but here, impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.