Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In two days, September 1st, Canonical will unleash to the world the first Beta version of the upcoming Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) operating system, due for final release on October 13th, 2011.

With this occasion we thought it will be a great idea to inform our Ubuntu readers about some of the interesting features that will be included in this first Beta release of Ubuntu 11.10.

We also remind everyone that just like the previous release (Ubuntu 11.04), this version of the Ubuntu operating system will have two Beta releases; the second one will be availble on September 22nd.

Ubuntu 11.10 is dubbed Oneiric Ocelot and will include new and breathtaking "under the hood" technologies, such as Linux kernel 3.0, multi-arch support, GNOME 3.2 desktop environment, GTK3, Python 3.2, GCC 4.6.1, Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS) 1.5.0, and lots more.

More Info

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Meh.

None of their UI's come close to Win7's except for possibly Unity - but it's such crap anyways no one can stand to use it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is exactly why I do not use Linux, they release new version to quickly.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Earth said:
This is exactly why I do not use Linux, they release new version to quickly.

You could use a rolling release distro like PCLinux.

If you update regularly, when a new release is made you already have it because you've already updated all of the components that make up the new version.

No need to download and install a complete new version. :)

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
I think a 6 month release cycle is fair. This isn't a huge major release like moving to 12.04.

Windows release cycle is new OS every 2 years, Ubuntu's is 1 year.

I think that's not bad.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I thought the interface itself will be a bit change but its still same like 11.04.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
HeffeD said:
You could use a rolling release distro like PCLinux.

That's another problem, I have never heard of PCLinux.

Most people know about Ubuntu and unless they do any research, they won't know other distros are available.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Probably when they heard Linux then most users came on their mind its Ubuntu. I admit myself before that all I know was Ubuntu before.

Lindows

Aug 19, 2011
Meh.

None of their UI's come close to Win7's except for possibly Unity - but it's such crap anyways no one can stand to use it.

I use both the operating systems..... Both are really good....
Windows 7 and Ubuntu has advantages as well as disadvantages....
Like windows getting viruses and Linux cannot be infected....
Like playing games in windows and not in Linux...

And Ubuntu is faster than windows in terms of INTERNET and speed.....

Ubuntu shuts down in 5 - 8 seconds Windows cant beat that....

D

Deleted member 178

Lindows said:

1- linux distros are not popular enough so it dont worth the effort to create virus on it, when it will be popular as Windows, then the viruses will rises.

2- that is a big limitation

3- maybe

4- surely but Win7 correctly tweaked can close very fast

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Market shares of Linux isn't high at all so its a factor that viruses are less in the wild.

Yes, the games which are not compatible to Linux, it has an application called Wine that can run games or application that were Windows Based yet not all Linux distribution could work especially games.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Lindows said:

1- linux distros are not popular enough so it dont worth the effort to create virus on it, when it will be popular as Windows, then the viruses will rises.

2- that is a big limitation

3- maybe

4- surely but Win7 correctly tweaked can close very fast
1. They'll have to get their malware up and running pretty quickly if they want to infect some machines before a new version of the Linux kernel comes out.
2. If you are thinking along the lines of linux becoming more popular, then more games will be made for linux, thus removing this restriction.
3. Ubuntu runs much faster on a wider variety of hardware, both old and new, compared to Windows.
4. But that is not an option available to the average user.

D

Deleted member 178

linux has too much distros, so it will never be popular. it is more a geek OS. im sure ChromeOS will have more market shares than linux. People like brands, chrome, apple and Microsoft are well known. they will win over llinux, even if linux is better than all of them...

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Earth said:
That's another problem, I have never heard of PCLinux.

Most people know about Ubuntu and unless they do any research, they won't know other distros are available.

True. That is a problem with so many distros to choose from.

PCLinux has been around since 2003. It started as a fork from Mandrake. (Now Mandriva)

Lindows

Aug 19, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
linux has too much distros, so it will never be popular. it is more a geek OS. im sure ChromeOS will have more market shares than linux. People like brands, chrome, apple and Microsoft are well known. they will win over llinux, even if linux is better than all of them...

Yes I agree, If only they mainstream one single product like mint or Ubuntu and close all the other products more features can be put into Linux..........

You need to be online always to use chrome OS, they say....

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1: new Alt+Tab and login screen, Firefox 7 & more
The first beta version of Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot has landed right on time, and if everything goes to plan a second beta build will be released on September 22, and the final build will emerge on October 13. If you’re still a believer in version numbers, the most significant change is the inclusion of Linux kernel 3.0.3

Read more

Download Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 Released, Synaptic Removed

A few minutes ago, the second and last Beta version, as well as the last development release, of the upcoming Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) operating system was made available for testing by the Ubuntu developers. As usual, we've grabbed a copy of it in order to keep you up-to-date with the latest changes in the Ubuntu 11.10 development.

What's new in Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2? Well, Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 includes newer kernel packages based on the stable Linux kernel 3.0.4 upstream release, the newly released GNOME 3.2 Release Candidate desktop environment, LibreOffice 3.4.3, Mozilla Firefox 7.0 Beta 6, and Mozilla Thunderbird 7.0 Beta 3.

Starting with Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot), Canonical will provide a DVD ISO image that will be considered an extension to the usual CD image. The DVD will contain all the supported translations (language packs) and popular applications, such as The GIMP, Inkscape, PiTiVi, and a complete version of the LibreOffice open source office suite.

Read More

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
October 13th, 2011 - Final release of Ubuntu 11.10

From the link in softpedia, Beta 2 will be the last beta release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.