Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
* Install was very slow
* Interface is more responsive and less laggey
* Initial update was typical Bitdefender speed. But follow up update was quite snappy, BD actually knew it was already current on it's update.
* Usage - I just don't have a good enough machine to comfortably use BD (Acer, 4gb, 1.9 ghz). The resource usage is equal or worse than ever.
bitdefender 2018 usage pic.PNG

*Features - And here is where BD made some real changes.
BD 2018 features.PNG
* No more ATC, it is now ATD and it includes ransomware protection in it.
And there is no ATD settings, really besides on/off and white list options.
So no more aggressive settings options
* Antivirus has some "advanced" settings but it's very basic stuff.
* Safe Files - Is basically what last years Ransomware module looked like. A list of protected folders and what apps are allowed access.
Once again, protection at boot needs to be turned on manually with this feature. By default the module was enabled just not boot protection.

*Firewall - Certainly more options then before, but it's still no Comodo or KIS firewall.
The paranoid firewall option should intrigue someone

Final thoughts: Of course I haven't tested it, but I'm sure it will perform to BD standards against malware.
But due to my cheap computer I will be uninstalling and going back to WD. Because this is just too much resources to devote to an AV, IMO.

If I had a better machine I would probably keep it.

Last edited:

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Interesting. Do you know if free version was upgraded too or remains the same for the new year?

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
Interesting. Do you know if free version was upgraded too or remains the same for the new year?
It's probably the same, they don't do a yearly upgrade schedule with it. (I don't think)

And it wasn't that long ago they updated it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Too many variables to consider:
  1. What are your Host PC hardware specifications? Please include CPU, RAM, Storage speeds etc.
  2. If running on a laptop, which power plan was active?
  3. Did you reboot (restart PC) after installation?
  4. Are there any known post-beta issues that have not been fixed? Check Bitdefender Support Forum.
  5. What kind of Internet do you have? Connected using 2.4GHz or 5GHz Wi-Fi, or using Ethernet through PowerLine or directly from Router. Speed tests will vary.

Reactions: frogboy and Durden

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
Too many variables to consider:
  1. What are your Host PC hardware specifications? Please include CPU, RAM, Storage speeds etc.
  2. If running on a laptop, which power plan was active?
  3. Did you reboot (restart PC) after installation?
  4. Are there any known post-beta issues that have not been fixed? Check Bitdefender Support Forum.
  5. What kind of Internet do you have? Connected using 2.4GHz or 5GHz Wi-Fi, or using Ethernet through PowerLine or directly from Router. Speed tests will vary.
about redacted.png

Power plan - N/A
Reboot - Yes
Post Beta bugs - That's not a fair variable for me to be accountable for. But I didn't see any.
Internet - Ethernet/ Fiber optic provider/ 100 mbs

I just wish Bitdefender would update faster and use less processes and RAM. It has a noticeable effect on lower end computers.

Reactions: Prayag
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.