Qwynn's Config (Barebone & Seeking Advice!)

Qwynn

Thread author
Nov 10, 2012
While I'm new to these forums, I'm not new to PCs. I am, however, only now getting my feet wet when it comes to more in-depth security for said PCs.

As a quick summery: I haven't had issues with an infection for a very long time, not at least since I've been in my early years of PC use. Of course, I was something of a kid, then, but at least my rate of royally screwing things up was rather low.

Now, I've been a pretty avid AVG user for the past four or so years, and I was always pretty happy with their security suites. However, their recent 2013 version left something of a bad taste in my mouth over the last couple weeks, so I went searching for some alternatives. What I've ended up doing was forgoing the suite route entirely, and opting for keeping things simple (and secure) via going for the layered approach, and only working with what I actually need (and not all the extra crap that comes in suites).

So, that is what I have so far. avast! AV, Comodo FW, and MBAM Pro. Obviously, this really isn't a complete setup, so I'm hoping to find some advice on other software and utilities to have in my toolbox to keep everything running smooth and solid. I've read a few things on Spyware Blaster (which doesn't have Chrome support) and Hitman Pro, but reviews on the latter seem to be inconsistent.

As I mentioned, I'm trying to keep the fingerprint of software low, but still provide some solid layers of security. The only thing that really brings me up to 'medium' risk is my use of P2P (utorrent), and covering my bases there is definitely a good thing.

As a final addition, I'll also mention that I was considering the Bitdefender and Kaspersky suites before I decided on layers. Both had some functionality which appealed to me, but it was often bundled in (once again) useless junk. The PC in question is primary used for gaming (both on- and offline), so it's pretty beefy, and that in turn could counteract the heavier suites or software in the end. (If there's any desire for the specs, just let me know!)​

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Antivirus: Avast -Good
On-demand: MBAM -I would recommend Emsisoft Emergency Kit or Hitman Pro (for scanning)
Firewall: Comodo -Good
Add-ons: Adblock Plus -I would recommend WOT or Bitdefender TrafficLight.
What is your UAC setting?
Do you have a registry/temporary internet file cleaners like CCleaner?

D

Deleted member 178

hi,

I think MBAM Pro is not needed as Real Time since all it offers is a basic signature detection and a web filter with lot of false positive. Both features already covered by Avast.

By upgrading Chrome to v23 you can remove DNT+ addon since ut is now built-in it.

if you like testing many softwares, there is a paid softwares called Rollback RX that allows you to take a snapshot of your actual system then restore it in less than a minute if something goes wrong or your test is finish and you dont wanna keep the software.

You should also check for Shadow Defender, it virtualize all your partitions and cancel all changes on reboot even after some malware infections.

Comodo has already a full sandbox but limited in options, if you want a more advanced one, Sandboxie is the best actually.

Hope my advices will help.

Qwynn

Thread author
Nov 10, 2012
Hah, you guys do respond quickly.

Yes, I'm running CCleaner. Before that I used AVG's TuneUp (and originally I used Auslogic before it was rebranded under AVG).

As to Hitman Pro, it is a relatively good tool to have around, then? As I said, inconsistent reviews had me wary.

What about configuration for avast! and Comodo? From what reading I've done on using the two together, it's 'better' to be using Comodo's sandbox rather than avast!'s, yes? There was also something about exclusions, I think, and configuring the behavior shield, but I'm working one step at a time, heh.

I'll take a look at Rollback RX. As a note, though, I am fairly horrible at remembering to do backups/restores.

As another mention: I did use WOT when I ran Firefox, however I wasn't too big a fan of it. Alternatives would be excellent, and I'll take a look at the Bitdefender one. I also used to use LastPass, however I've currently been searching for a password manager which also functions for some desktop applications. I remember reading LastPass had that in beta, but I've yet to try it.

D

Deleted member 178

Qwynn said:
Hah, you guys do respond quickly.

Yes, I'm running CCleaner. Before that I used AVG's TuneUp (and originally I used Auslogic before it was rebranded under AVG).

Ccleaner is good enough, i dont use anything else

As to Hitman Pro, it is a relatively good tool to have around, then? As I said, inconsistent reviews had me wary.

Here, we used HMP without activating it, using it only as a scanner, then remove the infected files manually

What about configuration for avast! and Comodo? From what reading I've done on using the two together, it's 'better' to be using Comodo's sandbox rather than avast!'s, yes? There was also something about exclusions, I think, and configuring the behavior shield, but I'm working one step at a time, heh.

Yes comodo sandbox is better. For the exclusions you can follow a guide i made by clicking the link on my signature. (just replace EAM steps by Avast)

I'll take a look at Rollback RX. As a note, though, I am fairly horrible at remembering to do backups/restores.

RX can be set to do it automatically. at every boot for example.

As another mention: I did use WOT when I ran Firefox, however I wasn't too big a fan of it. Alternatives would be excellent, and I'll take a look at the Bitdefender one. I also used to use LastPass, however I've currently been searching for a password manager which also functions for some desktop applications. I remember reading LastPass had that in beta, but I've yet to try it.

Lastpass is my favorite, I prefer Webutation than WOT (webutation has wot plus others)

remember Avast gives you sites reputation and web shield, Bit Defender TL is not needed.

Qwynn

Thread author
Nov 10, 2012
I saw Webutation just early today and consider grabbing it, and will continue debating grabbing Hitman Pro.

While I'm fairly confident in my own security habits (oh look, shiny banner!), it's also nice to have extra layers just in case something sneaks in.

Any comments on my original considerations of Bitdefender or Kaspersky suites? The features which appealed to me were the remote monitoring of various devices (as I run a home network which involves a few PCs, a Mac, and a couple Android phones/tablets), and am often dealing with some... not quite as savvy internet/PC users. Hence the helpful remote monitoring and removal they offer. Heh.

Of course, Comodo and avast! also have Andorid variants, and I've grabbed avast for my own tablet. Simply curious.

Also, I'll check out your guide for the exclusions in regards to Comodo and avast!. Thanks!

Edit: I forgot about the UAC setting question. I actually have it off. Considering I've been infection free for a long while, I'm fairly confident in leaving it like that for a matter of convenience. Of course now that I've said something, horrible things will happen. =P

D

Deleted member 178

for the UAC, i set it to max, it is another useful layer.

If you really need a remote control of other PC, you should check Teamviewer, it's free.

Avast has 2 active processes that must be excluded from Comodo. you can find then via Taskmanager

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I prefer Webutation than WOT (webutation has wot plus others)

Correct me if i'm wrong Umbra, it's been awhile since I've used webutation but it only tells you if a site is bad it doesn't block it like WOT,TL etc.?

D

Deleted member 178

yep , it doesn't block it, anyway i dont like and rely on WOT for blocking, i use BDTL for that.

D

Deleted member 178

WOT depend a lot of users report and some are biased since they flag a website badly just because they don't like the company's marketing behavior (ex: Iobit).

one reason for me to treat WOT as a joke.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Well any site wot has flagged as bad has never been so important that I ignored it, but if so I just use sbie and no problems...no major issues with it but again it's personal preference.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
For Windows 7 :

Other Free AV software :

On-Demand scanners :

Browsers Plugins :
This are a few plugins that will make your live more easy and confortable:

Virtualization:
Even if you submitted a file to virustotal.com and it said that it's clean , you'll need to run it in virtual environment because sometimes infection can be so new that security vendors don't have signs for it.

Virtualization software will allow you to browse the web or run another application in a completely safe environment. This is especially useful when visiting high-risk web sites, whether accidentally or deliberately, as the Web browser will be completely contained within the virtual enviroment, preventing any damage to your computer.
A sandbox can also be used to run any other applications which you think may be suspect - you can run the program inside the sandbox to determine whether or not it is safe while remaining completely protected against any malicious actions that it may try to carry out.
I strongly advise you to install Sandboxie and use it when you're browsing the Internet or running shady/unknown programs.
Alternately you can try BufferZone PRO (Free) , another great virtualization software.

Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Always run suspicious of freshly downloaded files in a Sandboxie to verify that he download isn't compromised!Sandboxie will replicate perfectly your operating system so all the files should run without any problems in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Qwynn

Thread author
Nov 10, 2012
Honestly, I can't give you a precise answer. There was something about their 2013 edition that just didn't appeal to me. Sure, it could be something simple and not at all security related such as the gaudy UI, but it might be more than that. I no longer had the feeling 'protection', and while it may have something to do with placebo effect, when I decided to look into alternatives, I started to notice a trend of poor reviews for their 2013 engines. Now, reviews aren't everything, of course, and usually there is some inconsistency with rankings and how the tests themselves were conductive.

I've liked AVG for a long time, but perhaps it was also just time for a switch, which happens.

As an addition, I've picked up Hitman Pro and Webutation and fiddled with Comodo's settings for avast! compatibility. For the most part it appeared everything was already good to go.

P

Plexx

Only thing I don't like about AVG is their amount of processes but to be honest their 2013 version was much more improved over 2012. Sure their detection rate is not top notch but is decent enough for the average user. Their Behavior Blocker (Identity Protection) is a nice zero day protection.

Has avast fixed the compatibility issue with Comodo FW? Personally I wouldn't use avast until they iron out their issues since version 7 is nothing but problems after problems.

P

Plexx

Umbra Corp. said:
agree for Avast 7, many issues.

There is still one older build on avast 7 which is for me the most stable one (thank god I have auto update for program disabled).

Users do still use avast and overall is a good free suite but yeah, beware of the issues that comes along (I am surprised no one has yet jumped on me)...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
McLovin, Avira provide Free Support for Free Antivirus, in what form?

FYI: AntiVir Personal is no longer used. Since here the old names were replaced with new names.

Avira Free Antivirus is the correct name for their Free product. I think you need to update your Database(s). :lolz:

McLovin said:
Avira AntiVir Personal- Free anti-virus software for Windows. Detects and removes more than 50000 viruses. Free support.

Qwynn

Thread author
Nov 10, 2012
Hmm, that's interesting to know. Thus far, I haven't encountered anything, however I'll be sure to keep a close eye on it to see if anything regarding compatibility issues crop up.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.