Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
A new ransomware vaccine program has been created that terminates processes that try to delete volume shadow copies using Microsoft's vssadmin.exe program,

This weekend, security researcher Florian Roth released the 'Raccine' ransomware vaccine that will monitor for the deletion of shadow volume copies using the vssadmin.exe command. "We see ransomware delete all shadow copies using vssadmin pretty often. What if we could just intercept that request and kill the invoking process? Let's try to create a simple vaccine," Raccine's GitHub page explains.

Raccine works by registering the raccine.exe executable as a debugger for vssadmin.exe using the Image File Execution Options Windows registry key.
Once raccine.exe is registered as a debugger, every time vssadmin.exe is executed, it will also launch Raccine, which will check to see if vssadmin is trying to delete shadow copies. If it detects a process is using 'vssadmin delete,' it will automatically terminate the process, which is usually done before ransomware begins encrypting files on a computer.
Read more: New ransomware vaccine kills programs wiping Windows shadow volumes

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Please note that this is not a vaccine. It's a generic ransomware detection with process kill to prevent encryption. It does not remove the ransomware which is fully fine for the scope of a PoC code. I also believe that most AVs do have some detection like this in their software.

What's the difference of vaccine vs detect&kill?

A vaccine is passive. It does not actively remove or kill the malware.
Vaccine works against one specific malware by applying characteristics to the system that persuades the malware to not work (properly) in the first place. E.g. classic vaccines for viruses would apply their infection markers. The virus will "think" the system is already infected and not execute the infection routine. A vaccine for a ransomware might persuade the ransomware that it already encrypted the system.
Generic vaccines are very rare. They are usually specifically against one strain of malware.

Detect & kill is an active protection. It has to run constantly or regularly to work and there must be some non-malware procedure that executes the kill or removal of files.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The author skipped the possibility of killing explorer.exe in the tree of processes that had invoked vssadmin.exe. When killing explorer.exe the user would lose the Windows taskbar and Desktop. But, it is possible to overcome this issue by adding the code that refreshes the Explorer (kill all instances of the Explorer and run it again on the current user account). I used such a code in H_C some time ago. It is easy on default Admin account and slightly more advanced on SUA.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The Raccine will not work for ransomware that uses WMI (without using wmic.exe) to delete shadow copies. This can be done via scripting (PowerShell, Windows Script Host, etc.). Simply, the vssadmin.exe will be a child process of WmiPrvSE and not a child of scripting engine or ransomware executable.

Last edited:

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Do legit apps (like Imaging software) use this technique to delete shadow copies once not needed any more? If yes, then FPs could be expected from this tool.
Out of my experience from writing AV signatures: If shadow volume deletion is the only thing you check for, FPs are almost certain. You always need some context to it to determine that it is ransomware.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Out of my experience from writing AV signatures: If shadow volume deletion is the only thing you check for, FPs are almost certain. You always need some context to it to determine that it is ransomware.
Yeah I think trying to do this statically is going to be a nightmare. This is a good candidate for a dynamic detection combined with a cloud reputation (whitelist) lookup.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

I can say the same from my experience, basing your detection on one single criteria is you, begging for trouble :)

Reactions: Dave Russo and Nevi

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I found out about this software on Softpedia yesterday.
Do you remember CryptoPrevent? It's already abandoned but still to get here (portable)
Download CryptoPrevent - MajorGeeks
ShadowGuard is developed by the same person

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.