Question Ram Usage

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

AV-Freak

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 14, 2018
Dear Friends,

I am using Bitdefender Internet security and the ram usage seem to be very high on my laptop (close to 1 Gb. I would like to know whether its a normal thing with Bitdefender Internet security. Also do you have some recommendations to tweaks to bring it down as it seem to slow down my machine. Thanks in Advance. :)

Attachments

• RX5qZhI9F2.jpg
    RX5qZhI9F2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 75

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
Hello,

Yes, Bitdefender can sometimes use a significant amount of RAM, but it varies depending on system specifications and the tasks you're performing. To reduce RAM usage, try disabling the Autopilot feature, reducing the active scanning frequency, or setting Bitdefender to Game Mode when performing heavy tasks. Also, ensure you're using the latest version of Bitdefender as updates often include performance improvements.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
If it is a new installation, BD always uses more RAM in the beginning, while it is learning your system specs and how you use the computer. It can take a few days but the RAM usage should come down as you continue using BD. If you have been using BD for a while and this is a new spike in RAM usage, it could be a problem with BD itself and may be worth posting about it in the BD Community forum.

C.H.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I'm not an expert on this subject of physical ram and virtual ram usage, but the thing is what you're seeing in Process Hacker's Private Bytes is the accumulation of physical memory, virtual memory and shared memory of that process. So not all that memory is exclusively being used by Bitdefender at that time. Some of them can be shared with other running processes also.
Bitdefender's physical memory usage would be from 300-500 MB on a 16 GB ram system which is still higher than most products, but the explanation provided by everyone above is accurate.
Not using it now but in the past, I have seen Bitdefender's ram usage to go down to only 80 MB when I was playing a ram heavy game. I think the memory was offloaded to the pagefile. So, Windows itself as well as Bitdefender is designed to release memory when other process need them.
Edit: You should update to System Informer from Process Hacker. They have changed the name of their product. Process Hacker is no longer maintained.

Last edited:

lokamoka820

Level 5
Mar 1, 2024
I would like to know whether its a normal thing with Bitdefender Internet security.
This is normal for Bitdefender even with the free version, as other members mentioned, give it a few days and it should come down. By the way this will not affect the performance of your laptop, it looks heavy, but my experience with Bitdefender have no slowdowns at all.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Here's some details shared by Bitdefender's Principal Software Developer on BD community:
I would say 600 MB is on the high end. On my laptop the memory usage is:
bdservicehost.exe (there are 5 services): 400 + 14 + 13 + 6 + 8 for a total of ~440MB
bduserhost.exe (multiple instances): ~10MB
bdagent.exe: 18MB
bdntwrk.exe: 3MB
bdredline.exe: 2MB
obkagent.exe: 4MB (if running)
bdvpnservice: ~5MB
So with all running, it's around 480MB. The range I am usually see is in 400-600 MB.

So on your machine 600 MB I would say is on the high limit, but that depends also on the particularity of what runs and happens on it - but yes, it is on the standard memory usage.

The reason for why the memory consumption is on that value is simply the product does a ton of things. Setting an option to OFF, for example, disables, say realtime functionalities, but that does not mean the module is unloaded, it is just running with less capabilities, registering less I/O with the operating system and so on.

For the multiple bdservicehost.exe executables you are seeing, the reason is simpler: once upon a time there was a single service (vsserv.exe - what you see now bdservicehost.exe that occupies the most of the memory) where everything was cramped. I was one of the proponents of "let's not keep everything in one process, and keep only the proxies there and spawn another processes as necessary". This is, for example, why the entire vulnerability scanning, which once was in the service, was moved in the vulnerability.scan.exe which executes only when the scan needs to be done, reports the results, then stops. There are now separate services for core/defense functionalities (bdservicehost.exe Virus Shield); vulnerability, wifi, networking (bdservicehost.exe BDAuxSrv); application service (bdservicehost.exe BDAppSrv); Safepay service (bdservicehost.exe BDSafepaySrv), and the protected service which ensures integrity (bdservicehost.exe BDProtSrv). All these are to maintain separate and self-functioning (to a degree) various components, and avoid that a bug or crash in one of them to drag everything down.
The same for bduserhost.exe various instances, which, in addition of avoiding cramping everything into the user agent (bdagent.exe), are also needed to execute in the user's context: for example, when wifi networks changed, audio/video protection is enabled etc. (a wifi network or Zoom call occurs in the context of an user but not for another user, for example).

The reality, as I see it, comes down to three things: one is to avoid troubles by putting all the eggs in one basket (which I think we succeed, although this complicated our life tremendously - but it's not our life which needs to be nice, but the user life :) ), the second is the product offers so much functionality (but this comes with a cost), and third, which we are currently ongoing do, is to keep things as slim as possible by avoiding doing more than necessary while keeping things running correctly. The latter is an ongoing thing which we are doing (in fact, I am working on a part of the product optimization right now).

I hope I managed to clarify a little bit the why.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I would prefer AV to use RAM instead of CPU/HDD(SSD), Defender uses those 2 and it ends up as the worst performance offender. There is also also network, for cloud AVs, but that is negligible.

kailyn

Level 2
Jun 6, 2024
Dear Friends,

I am using Bitdefender Internet security and the ram usage seem to be very high on my laptop (close to 1 Gb. I would like to know whether its a normal thing with Bitdefender Internet security. Also do you have some recommendations to tweaks to bring it down as it seem to slow down my machine. Thanks in Advance. :)
High RAM usage would not cause your system to slow down except if you have insufficient RAM (you need at least 16 GB RAM) and contents of active memory (RAM) are being written to virtual memory (the pagefile on the system hard drive).

For fastest system speed you want as much as possible to be loaded into ultra fast RAM.

This is the reason that browsers running on Windows 10 or 11 routinely use between 1 and 2 GB RAM.

Junho

Jun 27, 2024
On my high end desktop with 32GB ram, Bitdefender Internet security is using 600s mb of ram. Can felt overall system responsiveness is quite sluggish and noticeable especially when apps are performing update and reading email in Outlook app.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.