Showcase randj89 gaming PC

OS installed
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Motherboard
Changed motherboard to Gigabytes GA-Z97M-D3H
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU
Dual - ATI AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB Dual Channel PCI-E 3.0 with CrossFire // Monitor Samsung 28" UHD 4k - 590 (Resolution: 3840 x 2160) with FreeSync
RAM
32 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance overclocked with Intel XMP
Storage
OS (0) = Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SSD. *****UPGRADE****
Extras (1) = PNY CS2111 240 GB / Gaming E.d. *****UPGRADE****
Extra (2) =7,200 RPM HD toshiba ******FACTORY****
Accessories
Did change a lot of my hardware! Got a new CM Storm Stryker Case. Monitor Samsung 28" UHD 4k - 590 (Resolution: 3840 x 2160)
Monitor and graphics card are connected through DP(Display Port) using ***AMD FreeSync*** @ 4k. BOUGHT A LOGITECH SURROUND SYSTEM AND IT'S WORKING WONDERFULLY!

randj89

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
Definitely better than mine, haha. :p

I'm just curious why didn't you choose to upgrade your R9 390 and went to crossfire?

I'm in a dilemma to whether crossfire my R9 290 or upgrade to another card. :confused:
I could've upgraded to fury x but the are just small differences and I'm not paying double the amount of money to get just 50 extra megahertz. Money difference is about $300...... NO THANK YOU!

Crossfire is a better option for me. Crossfire splits the job 1 card has to do between both of them. For example one card render shadows and the other card render highlights. It's team work and it puts less stress on the primary card creating less heat and creating better performance without sacrificing resolution.

I'm playing on 1080p which is not stressful for the card but I also play on 4k 60hz and let me tell you for 4k you need crossfire or SLI if you don't want to make your card suffer. Before I upgrade all my 4k rendering was pain to my eyes I thought with 8 gigs on 1 card was enough to handle that. Yes you can do 4k gaming with the card but you have to set your settings down to a medium or low depending on the game and for me that's a game changer. If I'm playing I want the maximum experience with everything on ULTRA. So yes you can achieve that with SLI or Crossfire.

@Vasudev As for the games I play on the PC not so many because I have some consoles. I own a PS3, PS4, 2 (XL 3ds), Xbox One, Wii U, plus I do sometimes 3d gaming on my 3d tv but it makes me sick. Now with the PC I'm doing the witcher, battlefield, Plants vz Zombies, Final Fantasy and some other games that I don't wanna go into detail with because I'm not playing them right now. Now I'm waiting for Quantum Break on the xbox so I can have the PC exclusive as well and see how that goes. What it is I like to have different consoles because I know they have exclusives that I would want. For the PS4 I have bloodborne for example. For the Wii U I have Bayonetta 2 etc etc (FUN FACT I BOUGHT PLANTS VS ZOMBIES 3 TIMES FOR PC, PS4 AND XBOX ONE). Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare is not a huge game but it is one of my favorites ever I don't even know why but I fell in love with it and it's my medicine ;waiting for part 2 that comes on the 26..... I played the demo and it's awesome.

By the way I got my 144hz monitor. It's not a super wow thing but ViewSonic XG2701 it's doing the job for the moment even though I want a BenQ XL2730z.

@McLovin Anyway! On this setup I do a lot of photoshop basically it's a bit overpowered to do photography but I wanted something big that allows me to handle pretty much every task I throw at it. It's not a supercomputer but it's decent and provides me with all I need. Besides Photoshop can eat my 32 gigs of RAM easily but it doesn't put any stress at all on the PC.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
@Vasudev As for the games I play on the PC not so many because I have some consoles. I own a PS3, PS4, 2 (XL 3ds), Xbox One, Wii U, plus I do sometimes 3d gaming on my 3d tv but it makes me sick. Now with the PC I'm doing the witcher, battlefield, Plants vz Zombies, Final Fantasy and some other games that I don't wanna go into detail with because I'm not playing them right now. Now I'm waiting for Quantum Break on the xbox so I can have the PC exclusive as well and see how that goes. What it is I like to have different consoles because I know they have exclusives that I would want. For the PS4 I have bloodborne for example. For the Wii U I have Bayonetta 2 etc etc (FUN FACT I BOUGHT PLANTS VS ZOMBIES 3 TIMES FOR PC, PS4 AND XBOX ONE). Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare is not a huge game but it is one of my favorites ever I don't even know why but I fell in love with it and it's my medicine ;waiting for part 2 that comes on the 26..... I played the demo and it's awesome.
Why not go for fury, because of Asetek's patent infringement by CM, fury X sales are put on hold. Else r9 nano is a good option too. BTW, do you a mansion or what?

randj89

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
Why not go for fury, because of Asetek's patent infringement by CM, fury X sales are put on hold. Else r9 nano is a good option too. BTW, do you a mansion or what?
Fury and nano are way too expensive for what I was willing to pay. I could get them later if I want. But not at this moment. And I don't live in a mansion.:p

Reactions: Vasudev

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Pretty good gaming rig and nothing much to further improve it. You may continue with this 390 Crossfire till the next generation AMD R9-400 launch mid this year.

Reactions: randj89

randj89

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
Pretty good gaming rig and nothing much to further improve it. You may continue with this 390 Crossfire till the next generation AMD R9-400 launch mid this year.
Didn't even know the new generation was coming this year. Good to know. Thanks

Reactions: Kuttz

randj89

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
@randj89 Sounds like a valid reason. Do you have any issue with crossfire profiles? Because I heard that not all games have profile.
No problems with profiles so far. The ones that you download I don't use most of the time I pretty much go on friendly 1 x 1 mode all the time. Crossfire works only with Direct X 10 and up though.

generalwu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@randj89 Thanks for the reply, I checked with peers from another forum and the general idea is to wait for Polaris.

So I'll go with their idea and play the waiting game for now.

Many thanks.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Nice build Rand, I had a Digital Storm built some years ago cost me about 3 grand in total but with some minor upgrades, some 5 yrs later its humming like a champ still. I would never get that from a pre-fab. PeAcE

Reactions: randj89

randj89

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
Nice build Rand, I had a Digital Storm built some years ago cost me about 3 grand in total but with some minor upgrades, some 5 yrs later its humming like a champ still. I would never get that from a pre-fab. PeAcE
Thanks bud

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.