Video Review RansomFree by CyberReason Quick Test

Discussion in 'Video Reviews' started by cruelsister, Nov 11, 2017.

1. cruelsister

cruelsister Level 32
    Trusted

Apr 13, 2013
    NYC
    Video Uploaded by:
    cruelsister

2. Windows_Security

Windows_Security Level 13
    Content Creator Trusted

Mar 13, 2016
    Holland
    Windows 7
    Default-Deny
    #2 Windows_Security, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Due to its canary files design RansomFree will have trouble with some forms of ransomware

On the plus side of RansomFree
    • Has little system impact
    • Is very easy to use, also for average PC user
    • Has a track record of causing no problems with other software
    • Usually updates a day after public notifications of new ransomware variants
    For people putting their faith into a FREE antivirus with no advanced defenses like sandboxes/HIPS/ect, it is a great addition.

For informed PC users there are better alternatives.

A Ferrari is a great car, but a lousy transporter in the heights of the Himalaya's

A Yak is a great pack animal, but a lousy means to commute in the greater Londen area.

3. cruelsister

cruelsister Level 32
    Trusted

Apr 13, 2013
    NYC
    #3 cruelsister, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    WS- RansomFree is by no means junk, and as I pointed out has improved a great deal over the past year. However the product relies far too much on definition detection (with a new def push into the Local base) which is problematic as it tends to hide a still immature mechanistic detection routine. As most ransomware authors have expectations for the lifespan of their malware to be 24 hours or less (and so will stop distribution after that timespan and morph the original), does detection at D+2 for a specific variant have any real world significance?

Although I do agree that there is a need for a dedicated anti-ransom app for those that rely on tradition AV's, Appcheck (free) or RansomOff will provide broader coverage..

4. Arequire

Arequire Level 18

Feb 10, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Windows 7
    Default-Deny
    No congestion or toxicity charge though. ;)

bribon77 likes this.
  5. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    I found that RansomFree used a lot of CPU. Anyone else see that?

6. Windows_Security

Windows_Security Level 13
    Content Creator Trusted

Mar 13, 2016
    Holland
    Windows 7
    Default-Deny
    #6 Windows_Security, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    CS

I personally like RansomOff a lot. It is probably the best free option for power users. AppCheck free is also a great application. the free version allows a registry hack to protect more file extensions. The default list misses a few file etxtension. That is a pitty because AppCheck free is a great install and forget application suitable for average Joe/Jane also IF it was not for the missing file extensions (probably by design to pull people towards the paid variant).

So for average Joe/Jane we have RansomFree and AppCheck: not perfect protection for all documents, versus near perfect protection for not all documents, The constant day after updates of RansomFree makes mee lean towards RansomFree as the better solution for Average Joe/Jan (broader document protection than AppCheck). But every man/woman has to decide for them selves.

For power users RansOff is great, but it has to come out of beta first IMO.

Regards

Kees

7. cimmay

cimmay Level 2

Oct 24, 2017
    seattle
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Finally tried AppCheck and it looks great. They changed a feature in the Free version, MBR protection is now enabled. I depended a lot on video testing, they have a ton of examples. The one that sold it is Cerber. Tried a dozen times to get Ransomoff installed, it makes my Win7 machine unresponsive and needing a Reset.

8. minegroasprilla

minegroasprilla Level 2

Jun 21, 2014
    Qihoo360+ComodoFirewall or KasperskyAntivirus+ComodoFirewall?.

Sunshine-boy and TerrakionSmash like this.
  9. BigJ

BigJ New Member

Dec 25, 2017
    US
    So Cybereason RansomFree isn't totally useless, but Appcheck, and RansomOff are better? For AV the last two years I have used Bitdefender and Avira, but recently went back to Kaspersky (despite the recent bad press) which I used for many years before. Probably not a great setup, but right now I have the following running: Kaspersky AV, Malwarebytes Premium, Voodoo Shield, and Cybereason RansomFree. I also have Zemana AntiMalware as a on demand option. I use Ublock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, and Privacy Badger also.

I don't know if VoodooShield is working properly as I went into the "User log" and tried to whitelist a "blocked" item, but it still says "blocked" in the log. I don't know if that's normal or not. Maybe a bug or I'm not quite understanding the program?

AtlBo and shmu26 like this.
  10. Sunshine-boy

Sunshine-boy Level 22

Apr 1, 2017
    IRAN
    Windows 10
    ESET
    How to protect MFT?

AtlBo likes this.
  11. Av Gurus

Av Gurus Level 28
    Trusted AV Tester