Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Softpedia said:
An interesting piece of ransomware has been spotted. Unlike its predecessors, it doesn’t leverage the name of a law enforcement agency to scare its victims, but the name of the infamous hacktivist movement Anonymous.
[attachment=2580]

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ransomware-Locks-Computers-in-the-Name-of-Anonymous-Hackers-Group-303639.shtml

Attachments

• Ransomware-Locks-Computers-in-the-Name-of-Anonymous-Hackers-Group-2.png
    Ransomware-Locks-Computers-in-the-Name-of-Anonymous-Hackers-Group-2.png
    170.9 KB · Views: 575

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
I will try found this file :)

Found MD5: dece32561247309ddb9ad5c0d1024e56

EDIT:
More informations:
SHA256: b3a55bcc6f88a60ca25e0a2687a6694756b91f45c6b9c82e249181ff69c93c0f
SHA1: c3a798c82069b57009b945cde46141c18263b023
ssdeep: 768:3XPI0QMD7FKjSuh6OWn/riItZblQGNv0IILiPsQs3D21Tf:3g07nOh6/nDTJJNs2PoD+f
File size: 47.0 KB (48128 bytes)
https://www.virustotal.com/file/b3a55bcc6f88a60ca25e0a2687a6694756b91f45c6b9c82e249181ff69c93c0f/analysis/

treefrog'

Oct 28, 2012
MalwareCenter said:
I will try found this file :)

Found MD5: dece32561247309ddb9ad5c0d1024e56

EDIT:
More informations:
SHA256: b3a55bcc6f88a60ca25e0a2687a6694756b91f45c6b9c82e249181ff69c93c0f
SHA1: c3a798c82069b57009b945cde46141c18263b023
ssdeep: 768:3XPI0QMD7FKjSuh6OWn/riItZblQGNv0IILiPsQs3D21Tf:3g07nOh6/nDTJJNs2PoD+f
File size: 47.0 KB (48128 bytes)
https://www.virustotal.com/file/b3a55bcc6f88a60ca25e0a2687a6694756b91f45c6b9c82e249181ff69c93c0f/analysis/

Can't help noticing MSE - fail :rolleyes:

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
treefrog said:
Can't help noticing MSE - fail :rolleyes:

The fact that it doesn't have a signature for this threat can be understandable however the really tragic part is that this antivirus doesn't have any other real layer of protection that might detect or prevent this ransomware.

Now,regarding this ransom, I can only give +1 to the author for the imaginative text:

You need to pay a ransom of £100 within 24 hours to restore the computer back to normal. If the ransom is not paid on time all the contents of your computer will be deleted and all your personal information such as your name, address, D.O.B., etc. will be published online, after this has been done the process, ram and motherboard will be fried. Any attempts to remove this virus will result in the consequences mentioned.
Still LOL-ling....

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Seems similar to FBI Ransomware ....

That is probably because Anonymous has FBI agents in their ranks. LOL

Assuming their are no Russian mafioso in their ranks, one day the Russian Mafia is going to kick the squat out of Anonymous and it is not going to be a cyber kick. It will be a real one in a dark alley in Moscow or St. Pyotrsburg. Then how anonymous will they be? Heck, there are probably Federal agents AND Russian Mafia in their clique. It just seems to work out that way most of the time. Crooks need protection just like victims need protection. That is where big government comes in.

I

illumination

kuttus said:
Seems similar to FBI Ransomware ....

That is because it is literally the same thing, other then utilizing a different scare tactic. Most of these "ransomware" can be dealt with through "safemode", although i have come across one particular case where the Ransomware actually popped up in safemode as it loaded, leaving no way to attack it through that vector.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
thewolfsmith72 said:
That is because it is literally the same thing, other then utilizing a different scare tactic. Most of these "ransomware" can be dealt with through "safemode", although i have come across one particular case where the Ransomware actually popped up in safemode as it loaded, leaving no way to attack it through that vector.

We can try another alternative way...

Start the computer in Safe mode with Command Prompt. Inside the Command Prompt type

Code:
net user administrator /active:yes

This one will activate the hidden Administrative User account on your computer.

After that restart the computer in Normal mode. Now you will be able to see one Administrator user account in your login screen like this.

enabled-administrator-account-in-windows-vista-300x931.gif

Now Login to the Administrator user account and Delete the infections manually or run our removal tools... :)

Infected file locations are as below

• * C:\Documents and Settings\{Your User Name}\Local Settings\Temp (In Windows XP)
    * C:\Documents and Settings\{Your User Name}\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (In Windows XP)
    * C:\Users\{Your User Name}\Appdata\Local\Temp (In Windows Vista, Windows 7)
    * C:\Users\{Your User Name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (In Windows Vista, Windows 7)
    * C:\Users\{User Profile}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\[Random]\ [Random.exe]
    * C:\Users\{User Profile}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ [Random]
    * C:\Program Data\lsass.exeC:\Program Data\[Random.exe]
    * C:\Program Data\csrss.exe
    * C:\Users\{Your User Name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ctfmon.exe

If you wish you can create a new user account also from the Safe mode with Command Prompt

Code:
net user UserName Password /add

Code:
Net localgroup Administrator UserAccountName /add

To Disable the Administrator user account

Code:
net user administrator /active:no

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
thewolfsmith72 said:
Ransomware actually popped up in safemode as it loaded, leaving no way to attack it through that vector.
I've seen a few that didn't allow to boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt.......
I always prefer to remove a ransowmare trojan using a bootable disk like Kasperksy Rescue Disk or UBC4Win.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Jack said:
thewolfsmith72 said:
Ransomware actually popped up in safemode as it loaded, leaving no way to attack it through that vector.
I've seen a few that didn't allow to boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt.......
I always prefer to remove a ransowmare trojan using a bootable disk like Kasperksy Rescue Disk or UBC4Win.

If we are not able to start the computer in Safe mode with Command Prompt as well we need to go with bootable disk... :) like Kasperksy Rescue Disk, Norton Bootable Recovery Tool Etc..

I

illumination

kuttus said:
thewolfsmith72 said:

We can try another alternative way...

Start the computer in Safe mode with Command Prompt. Inside the Command Prompt type

Code:
net user administrator /active:yes

This one will activate the hidden Administrative User account on your computer.

After that restart the computer in Normal mode. Now you will be able to see one Administrator user account in your login screen like this.

enabled-administrator-account-in-windows-vista-300x931.gif

Now Login to the Administrator user account and Delete the infections manually or run our removal tools... :)

Infected file locations are as below

• * C:\Documents and Settings\{Your User Name}\Local Settings\Temp (In Windows XP)
    * C:\Documents and Settings\{Your User Name}\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (In Windows XP)
    * C:\Users\{Your User Name}\Appdata\Local\Temp (In Windows Vista, Windows 7)
    * C:\Users\{Your User Name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (In Windows Vista, Windows 7)
    * C:\Users\{User Profile}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\[Random]\ [Random.exe]
    * C:\Users\{User Profile}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ [Random]
    * C:\Program Data\lsass.exeC:\Program Data\[Random.exe]
    * C:\Program Data\csrss.exe
    * C:\Users\{Your User Name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ctfmon.exe

If you wish you can create a new user account also from the Safe mode with Command Prompt

Code:
net user UserName Password /add

Code:
Net localgroup Administrator UserAccountName /add

To Disable the Administrator user account

Code:
net user administrator /active:no

With that particular one, you will not get that far, did not matter which mode in safe mode you chose, even to repair the computer or set it back to last know good state, as soon as it started to load drivers and open, the Ransomware would be there blocking you from accessing anything. Worse one i have seen yet. Luckily, this person i was working for, did not mind a factory reset, had nothing on his system he needed to save, and was able to get a start up repair running and access the factory reset through it.. "Of course no disk, or internet at his place either" I was not prepared as it was a last minute call.. So no bootable anti virus with me either.. But i did manage to reset it, and send him on his way happy to have his system back.. Has anyone else seen a Ransomware like this, as all the research i did on it, pointed to being able to use safemode, but like i said, this was not happening on this system.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
It's important to note that some users have reported that this type of ransom will in some cases will encrypt the files and folders. If you stumble upon a computer with encrypted files , you can try to run the following utilities:
- https://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208286527
- http://majorgeeks.com/story.php?id=34161

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
With that particular one, you will not get that far, did not matter which mode in safe mode you chose, even to repair the computer or set it back to last know good state, as soon as it started to load drivers and open, the Ransomware would be there blocking you from accessing anything. Worse one i have seen yet. Luckily, this person i was working for, did not mind a factory reset, had nothing on his system he needed to save, and was able to get a start up repair running and access the factory reset through it.. "Of course no disk, or internet at his place either" I was not prepared as it was a last minute call.. So no bootable anti virus with me either.. But i did manage to reset it, and send him on his way happy to have his system back.. Has anyone else seen a Ransomware like this, as all the research i did on it, pointed to being able to use safemode, but like i said, this was not happening on this system.

I think this will be a rare case... We used to get 20-30 FBI cases Every day.. Normally what we will be doing is.

1. Will Try Directory Services Restore Mode.
2. Safe mode with Command Prompt (Either Activate the Administrator User Account, or Create a new User)
3. System Restore from Recovery Console. (In Windows Vista and 7)
4. If customer is having another user account login to that one
5. Bootable Recovery Tools.

If non of this is working then we have to go with System Recovery... Taking as the very last Option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.