Ransomware protection for the average user?

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I did so on the previous version, but not version 8. There are 2 flavors- Free and paid. the paid adding Honeypots (which we have seen how lacking these may be with RansomFree). When version 8 went public I did a private video which was sent to them in anticipation of a discussion of my concerns. Surprisingly enough I received a response that was extremely rude and certainly not helpful in improving the product.

I actually was happy with the response as from now on (except for Qihoo, who are always concerned and polite) if any developer wants to discuss a breach with me, it should be accompanied by a QC consultancy contract (and I am NOT cheap); otherwise they can screw themselves.

WinXpert- Version 7, relying on Policy bases defenses, is also totally inadequate for todays malware.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
WinXpert- Version 7, relying on Policy bases defenses, is also totally inadequate for todays malware.

True, but it's a better than nothing passive defense, works here at the shop in blocking worms and trojans which we do get a lot. Haven't experienced any ransomware yet (except from samples). Anyway, I used to have MBAM AntiRansomware, tried Voodoo Shield and settled for AppCheck. :)

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
For inexperienced users solid and easy to use ransomware protection

a) Avast Free fileshield aggressive hardened mode (cloud whitelist)
b) harden Office to not run scripts,add-ons, macro's
c) AppCheck free to limit damage

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I don't want to be argumentative, but if so it seems, my apologies.
The fact is that in these times being beginners or unaware users is a defeat.
There are not valid reasons to justify gaps in security: lack of time, stress, fatigue are unlikely motivations.
The user has to protect himself in the first place by becoming aware.
If I ask to some of my friends: "what is ransomware?", their answer is:" a virus..."
Apart from the fact that a virus is a subtype of malware, but the answer is quite disturbing!
If you do not know the enemy, how you can fight it?
Then you enter a vicious circle: you are a victim of ransomware and you don't have a backup so you pay money for getting back your files (no warranty btw).
Your money is used to fund the cybercrime...a snake that bites its tail.

Reactions: DJ Panda and XhenEd

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I don't want to be argumentative, but if so it seems, my apologies.
The fact is that in these times being beginners or unaware users is a defeat.
There are not valid reasons to justify gaps in security: lack of time, stress, fatigue are unlikely motivations.
The user has to protect himself in the first place by becoming aware.
If I ask to some of my friends: "what is ransomware?", their answer is:" a virus..."
Apart from the fact that a virus is a subtype of malware, but the answer is quite disturbing!
If you do not know the enemy, how you can fight it?
Then you enter a vicious circle: you are a victim of ransomware and you don't have a backup so you pay money for getting back your files (no warranty btw).
Your money is used to fund the cybercrime...a snake that bites its tail.
Semantics don't really matter as long as they get the idea. They can also be taught to follow routine since most of them probably don't have the desire to pirate. The self-control is already within them and this minimum is probably enough since they're unlikely to be targeted.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.