Ransomware protection for the average user?

jelson

Level 2
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Recently, I just discovered... to my shock... that most of my friends have not yet heard about ransomware!

Of course, that begs the question of what program I should recommend for them so that have some protection beyond a Security Suite (typically I recommend Kaspersky IS to them.)

Naturally, I'm always urging them to... at a minimum... to periodically backup their data. And a few are computer literate enough that I take them by the hand and show them how to make system images with Macrium Reflect Free.

For most of them, they need something that doesn't require them to make choices about things they have no understanding (like pop-up alerts.)

But a few --that the ones who've learned how to use Macrium Reflect-- might be able to handle learning how to handle the occasional popup... in order to safeguard their irreplaceable data.

Suggestions...? Thanx

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Free version right now, I am definitely definitely buying the Pro when it launches internationally in a month, but @cruelsister blessed us with great examples of how well-written ransomware can trash some files but can be restored.
I "have" been using the Pro version for the past month, and it is a good solution for the
Average user ;)
In the free version many of the Pro features are off.

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
I "have" been using the Pro version for the past month, and it is a good solution for the
Average user ;)
In the free version many of the Pro features are off.
Other than an extra sense of security, do you think you really need it behind your resident protection + VoodooShield? I've already uninstalled it twice because I think it becomes overkill, but I reinstalled it because "why not".

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@jelson
both require very little user interaction ;)
This was my motivation for commenting, you contradict me yet haven't used the Pro version yet.
Posting "what you know" and "want you think you know" are two very different things here.
We need to be careful as what we post many new members see as gospel, we have a
responsibility to be as accurate as can be ;) no worries

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
This is the main issue, my uncle was hit by locky ransomware and he's an average user who doesn't have a clue, he didn't even know what ransomware was, when it comes to security he gets confused and these are the people they target as they do not understand about fraud and other threats. Basic antivirus software is not enough, but add additional protection and he just wouldn't be able to use it, and that's the main problem. Software like Sandboxie, AppGuard, Voodooshield are directed at advanced users, and require a huge learning curve, the normal home users would probably cause BSOD. As cruelsister has stated virtualization is the way forward, but who can use that? Set and forget is not strong enough.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Backups are essential! Before any protection reguardless of how strong you need a backup. Voodoosheild, Avast, and WD are some of my favorite kind of protection but eventually one will fail. Also it is up to you to make choices such as choosing to download an unknown file or not. That could be the situation of being infected or not.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.