Advice Request Ransomware protection

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Disable cloud storage auto-sync. Manually sync.
Indeed, auto-syncing does not think, it will simple overwrite backup files with encrypted ones. It is a good idea to pick a backup service, which allows to restore multiple version of files or even better, if it has ransomware protection by itself, like Windows Cloud Backup | CloudBerry Backup

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Hi guys! I just think a lot, how I can prevent Ransomware touching my files at all. Is there any program what can deny all programs using specified folders (Whitelist mode)? I know there is WD, but I shutdown it, because I use FortiClient.

I think that I'm well protected about any other threads, but no ransomware [edited].

If I want lockdown example my Sync.com local folder, how I can do it (Only program what needed it is Sync.com own program)?

Cuz; reather prevent than cure:

How fiight with ransomware and not only... ?!
1) Use Backup 3-2-1 or 3-2-2 if dont know what is mean google it.
2) Every one AV lack of detection and faster on later you will get some virus if stay only with stand alone AV which i dont recomend.
and better prevent than cure becasue for cure can be to late.
So Use Firewall + HIPS/SRP and other monitr activity which help you take control on what is going up in your system.
3)Izolation/Virtualization its nice, even if virus hit you, you can limit his access to your data base...

Sugest software:
Shadow Defender, Sandboxie, ReHIPS, Comodo Firewall, Syshardener, SpyShelter FW or standalone. OSArmor.
Good scanners SecureAplus, Zemana, HtimanPro.
My fav backup online solution which i also use SpiderOak

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Ransomware is only a problem if you don't keep backups.

Personal files such as Documents, Photos & Videos and Phone Backups are much more difficult to replace, whereas an OS can be easily wiped and re-installed.

It's ideal to keep a copy of your personal files on an external, non-networked, portable hard drive. Copy these over:
  • Documents
  • Music
  • Pictures
  • Videos
  • Phone Backups

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Burrito- Ransomstopper is horrible. Please do not use it.

Ok, thanks for your reply CS. You are one of those who I listen to...

Although, according to company reps, the product has changed in the last year.

CyberSight RansomStopper

And... I'm aware of the results of a government entity doing testing on these products... and Ransomstopper was the 'best of the frees.'

But I was considering getting rid of it anyway, as I've become rather sold on another product discussed in this forum.... and I won't mention it as I don't want to derail the thread.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Heilig brings a lot weird problems, I have to uninstall it earlier.

I have Macrium Reflect 7.1 Home, that's not problem.

I have Macrium Reflect 7.1 Home, NVT OSArmor and WFC. But none of them actually doesn't help me, if ransomware infected local storage and sync.com upload these to cloud?

You can just backup your entire system to an external hard drive.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
My ransomware protection preferences for people not using Windows Defender's advanced ransomware protection and secure folder access:
- easiest to use ransomfree (downide blacklist/honeypot based but with the upside they they lag maximum a day for new ransomware)
- best protection in advanced mode: Helig ransomOff (more for power users)

On Windows 10 I would use WD with WD configurator, SysHardener

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Windows 10 I would use Shadow Defender, Appguard, Voodooshield, Fort Knox, Marcrium.

Reactions: harlan4096

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Windows 10 I would use Shadow Defender, Appguard, Voodooshield, Fort Knox, Marcrium.
if you have old lifetime Appguard license is fine, however new is overpriced and i preffer you use other software in same price or even less with more function

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.