App Review Ransomware Rewind Anti-Ryuk Demo - Inventor's Sneak Peek

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
This is a recording of Cyber Crucible's Ransomware Rewind ransomware protection software. Ryuk ransomware, one of the most damaging ransomware malware variants, is downloaded from Virustotal. The ransomware is run, encrypting the entire machine. Then, Ransomware Rewind is able to provide a decryption solution within 4 minutes. The computer is brought back to operation quickly and effectively.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Thanks for the share, but personal I would rather use something else.

I do hope this company learns soon how to use Windows 10 and also install a video screen recording tool. That will probably automatic make this seem a bit more serious.

Outpost

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 11, 2020
Thanks for sharing, but there is only one way to block ransomware. It's called backup. Disk images on external media, saving files to the cloud or simply copy-and-paste files to a flash drive are more than enough to not worry about ransomware. If you add to this a "normal" antivirus and a block policy on scripts, macros, etc. etc. you should not fear anything.
In my opinion, software specific for this type of malware is either useless or inappropriate.

Last edited:

cybercrucible

From Cyber Crucible
Verified
Developer
Apr 1, 2020
Thanks for the share, but personal I would rather use something else.

I do hope this company learns soon how to use Windows 10 and also install a video screen recording tool. That will probably automatic make this seem a bit more serious.
UpNorth - this is a good learning opportunity for everyone on this forum. Thank you for the comment about video screen recording.

This particular Ryuk bundle was done per request of a client. It had a privilege escalation exploit and virtualization detection. The ransomware caused our Camtasia recordings to be corrupted, even when we ran in a privileged state. Due to virtualization detection, it was fastest to use a physical device. From time to time, we have to put a webcam in front of a physical device to record malware (not just ransomware).

At other times, we do see other features and configurations in ransomware, and would be glad to continue to share and educate.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
UpNorth - this is a good learning opportunity for everyone on this forum. Thank you for the comment about video screen recording.

This particular Ryuk bundle was done per request of a client. It had a privilege escalation exploit and virtualization detection. The ransomware caused our Camtasia recordings to be corrupted, even when we ran in a privileged state. Due to virtualization detection, it was fastest to use a physical device. From time to time, we have to put a webcam in front of a physical device to record malware (not just ransomware).

At other times, we do see other features and configurations in ransomware, and would be glad to continue to share and educate.
No problem, your very welcome. Another small tip that I hope might help, is to check up on hardware based recording tools as you obviously have issue with the software.

Another thing I feel is important to mention. As a official representative and spoke person for the company, it's highly recommended get in contact with one of the administrators on this site/forum and get what's called verified. It will grant you a badge so anyone either guest or member actually know who you are. It all boils down to the keyword that I guess your very familiar with, trust.

Send a message via this link : https://malwaretips.com/conversations/add?to=Jack

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.