App Review RANSTOP against ransomware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
Thanks for sharing this! This is a good stress test, although in real life it is almost impossible to get hit by 10 ransomware at the exact same time:).
Would it be possible to share some information on the virus samples you have tried with (i.e. maybe a download link) ?
Also, were you able to recover any files/were the files automatically recovered (the video does not show this part)?
Thanks and keep up the good work!

erreale

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
Thanks for sharing this! This is a good stress test, although in real life it is almost impossible to get hit by 10 ransomware at the exact same time:).
Would it be possible to share some information on the virus samples you have tried with (i.e. maybe a download link) ?
Also, were you able to recover any files/were the files automatically recovered (the video does not show this part)?
Thanks and keep up the good work!

I have no problem to share with you the malware used in the test. You have a PM!

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@CalinGhibu

Hi, Just some questions

1) Is your software limited to protection against certain categories(families) of ransomware or can handle ALL categories of ransomware? I can't find this info on your site.

2) I'm using Microsoft SP4 tablet which do NOT have a MBR. It comes with UEFI/GPT drive. Do I need to enable protection for MBR? If you read further down the below article it describes that the GPT has a MBR as well for backward compatibility purpose. Does your software protects this MBR in the first place rather than the traditional BIOS/MBR found in PC/laptop? And if the attack is successful would your software automatically recovers it?

New ransomware with an old trick: “Petya” parties like it’s 1989

Thanks

Last edited:

erreale

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
Ooooops....looks like files being encrypted and not auto-recovered.

Yes, you are right. The files being encrypted and not auto recovered, but to be honest, I must say that the files were saved and it was possible to recover them later.
The main problem I think is with certain ScreenLocker ransomware, where a no expert user, would trouble to go to the desktop and retrieve files that RANSTOP saved.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yes, you are right. The files being encrypted and not auto recovered, but to be honest, I must say that the files were saved and it was possible to recover them later.
The main problem I think is with certain ScreenLocker ransomware, where a no expert user, would trouble to go to the desktop and retrieve files that RANSTOP saved.
So the files auto recovery feature fails?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yes, it failed with the set of ransom that I used in the test. Maybe they were too recent for them ... I do not know.
If the software cannot auto recover the files then it is a big failure. It also has a file manual recovery feature. I believe the software must have done a backup of the original files on a separate folder for recovery purpose.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

erreale

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
If the software cannot auto recover the files then it is a big failure. It also has a file manual recovery feature. I believe the software must have done a backup of the original files on a separate folder for recovery purpose.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
My thoughts exactly at the very beginning, since i also used a slow performing vm for initial testing and i also didn't get my files back right after running the ransomware. And i also ran several ransomware at the same time. But i also noticed that a few minutes later it started to automatically recover my files. If the machine has close to 0 resources (like opening a notepad takes several seconds), the recovery was also very slow in my environment.
Have you let it run a few minutes? The automatic recovery time really depends on how busy the hard drive is from my tests.

Then i tested it in my secure environment, on the host. Well, the results were completely different. I got my files back almost instantly, automatically.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
Ooooops....looks like files being encrypted and not auto recovered.

From the video it looks like the word file has been opened before the product detected the threat - in order to assess the auto-recovery, the file should have been closed, and re-opened after the threat was detected (pop-out ) baloon. The file should also be available for manual recovery.

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
Yes, it failed with the set of ransom that I used in the test. Maybe they were too recent for them ... I do not know.

I would not say it failed - the video does not show that.

When testing ransomware, you should not start multiple strains at the same time, because the result becomes irrelevant. Here is why:
Ransomware encrypts certain types of files. If you launch 4 variants, the first one which gets to encrypt the files will do so, while the rest may not. Ranswomare changes file extensions so subsequent ransomware will NOT encrypt the same file, generally - unless you use a variant that encrypts all files (without an extension filter). Having said that, in such a test chances are only ONE ransomware gets to do its job, while others look for files to encrypt.

The product does not detect signatures, it detects behaviors. If ransomware does not get to expose its behavior = encrypt files, it will NOT get detected. That is why from the video, only one threat is detected.
That is why @cruelsister launches ransomware one after another during her tests.

The video does not show results of encryption with other ransomware, nor recovery options.

We have tested the samples and we successfully block all ransomware. One of the files in the test, Cancer, is not ransomware - it is a virus that deletes files and renders the machine unusable - without asking for ransom as files cannot be recuperated. We did not block that during the tests as ransomware, we detect it as a suspicious mass delete operation, reported it as such, and backed up the files. The files it damages can be manually recovered.

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
@CalinGhibu

Hi, Just some questions

1) Is your software limited to protection against certain categories(families) of ransomware or can handle ALL categories of ransomware? I can't find this info on your site.

2) I'm using Microsoft SP4 tablet which do NOT have a MBR. It comes with UEFI/GPT drive. Do I need to enable protection for MBR? If you read further down the below article it describes that the GPT has a MBR as well for backward compatibility purpose. Does your software protects this MBR in the first place rather than the traditional BIOS/MBR found in PC/laptop? And if the attack is successful would your software automatically recovers it?

New ransomware with an old trick: “Petya” parties like it’s 1989

Thanks

For 1, we use file access pattern analysis to detect ransomware, so we detect any ransomware, not just particular families.
For 2 I do not know, I will ask.

erreale

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
I would not say it failed - the video does not show that.

When testing ransomware, you should not start multiple strains at the same time, because the result becomes irrelevant. Here is why:
Ransomware encrypts certain types of files. If you launch 4 variants, the first one which gets to encrypt the files will do so, while the rest may not. Ranswomare changes file extensions so subsequent ransomware will NOT encrypt the same file, generally - unless you use a variant that encrypts all files (without an extension filter). Having said that, in such a test chances are only ONE ransomware gets to do its job, while others look for files to encrypt.

The product does not detect signatures, it detects behaviors. If ransomware does not get to expose its behavior = encrypt files, it will NOT get detected. That is why from the video, only one threat is detected.
That is why @cruelsister launches ransomware one after another during her tests.

The video does not show results of encryption with other ransomware, nor recovery options.

We have tested the samples and we successfully block all ransomware. One of the files in the test, Cancer, is not ransomware - it is a virus that deletes files and renders the machine unusable - without asking for ransom as files cannot be recuperated. We did not block that during the tests as ransomware, we detect it as a suspicious mass delete operation, reported it as such, and backed up the files. The files it damages can be manually recovered.

I also ran the test only against malware Revenge and was not intercepted automatically. The files were not recovered automatically. RANSTOP allowed recovering encrypted files manually.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I also ran the test only against malware Revenge and was not intercepted automatically. The files were not recovered automatically. RANSTOP allowed recovering encrypted files manually.

Save yourself some trouble and remember to upload videos in English here at MT, just a friendly reminder ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.