BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Via TheWindowsClub
Root Certificates are the primary level of certifications that tell a browser that the communication is genuine. If there is a problem identifying the certificate issuing authority or if the public key is expired or corrupt, you will see a message saying There is a problem with the website’s certificate.

Root Certificates recently came into the limelight due to the Lenovo-Superfish incident, where malicious certificates were injected on to users systems. If you feel the need to scan your Root Certificates in Windows 7 / 8, then this new tool names RCC or Root Certificate Check will help you.

Root Certificates Scanner
RCC-scan-Windows-Root-Certificates-600x434.jpg

RCC is a Root Certificate scanner for Windows, that scans your Root Certificates stored by the Windows operating system as well as Mozilla Firefox browser. While most browsers including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Opera use the built-in Certificate Store, Fire uses its own Store.

To run the tool, download it from its home page, extract the contents of the zip file and click on the rcc.exe file. The program will start and initiate the scan. The tool checks the certificates against Microsoft Windows Root Certificates Program list of trusted certificates.

If it finds any suspect or changed certificates, it will be displayed in red color. You will have to review them and ensure that they indeed are rogue certificates.

The tool checks Windows OS and Firefox certificate stores currently – but future versions will scan the Java store too, says its developer.

RCC can be downloaded from it home page. The developer says that it runs on Windows 7 and Windows 2008 and later. I could run the tool on my Windows 7 32-bit computer, but on my Windows 8.1 x64, I received a OS version is not supported message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.